Tenant never cleaned toilet and now have to replace

14 Replies

The toilet was spotless when they moved in about 3 years ago. They moved out and its looks like this. I have tried everything to get these stains out and no luck. Only option is to replace it which I did myself.

Is this concerned normal wear and tear or should I bill them for the toilet? $95.

Thanks in advance.

Well or city water ?   if well water , no if city water yes .   Muradic acid left in over night and it would be clean 

Gross.

To be honest, it doesn't look like neglect per se.  Otherwise, you would see stains all along the top inside of the bowl and swirled down following the water flow.  The bowl itself looks pretty white and clean.

I don't know what your water source is, but this looks more like sitting water.

I would deduct it. worst case if you go to court and it's not legit you pay it. make sure and start taking photos before and after. I use Google drive and share the documents with my tenants. I then save the after photos in another folder to share in court if needed.
Looks like piss water that was never flushed - who paid the water bill?
Originally posted by @Jimmy S. :

I have tried everything to get these stains out and no luck.  

Everything? What did you try? 

Hard water stains.  Try product called Lime Gone, which is Phosphoric Acid. It is a product sold to descale commercial dishwashers.  Wear heavy duty rubber gloves and eye protection when you use this product.   Empty out as much of the standing water as able, pour a cup of the Lime Gone in and let it sit.  This product is also great to descale shower heads, but be careful.  I am sure it would cause severe burns if you got it in your eyes.

This looks like stain from the water, we had the same issue and used a Dollar Tree version of the Lime Gone/CLR that Bettina F mentioned above. It took out these stains-- wished I had a before and after picture to show.

I agree with the Muriatic Acid.  We've used it on toilet stains worse than that.  Be careful with using it though.  Don't breath it in, wear gloves, leave the bathroom, etc..

I already replaced the toilet. It is city water and the tenants pay the water bill. I never had this problem with any of my other tenants before at the house.  I have a feeling they never cleaned it since the rest of the house was not that clean either.

For $100 I would just replace the toilet and not lose any sleep over it. 

@Doug W.   my thought exactly  !!!! just be glad you got rent and that's all that was done.. move on..

They were likely slobs but it is not really that bad.

3 years, within the spectrum of normal ware and tear by tenant/rental standards.

Originally posted by @Jimmy S. :

I already replaced the toilet. It is city water and the tenants pay the water bill. I never had this problem with any of my other tenants before at the house.  I have a feeling they never cleaned it since the rest of the house was not that clean either.

Yes, but do you want to replace the toilet with every turn over when an easier and cheaper solution is available?

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.