Need advice on tenant yard damage

2 Replies

One tenant from my SFH texted me about yard damage from some people driving through the front of the yard from the street. He noticed the damage after his work today. He sent me some pictures that showed one deep tire mark. He asks me what to do. As a landlord, can I ask him to file with the HOA? He is a good tenant and has not had any issues before. I want to have a reasonable response to him, while I do not know what he expects from me. Any advice for me?
Originally posted by @Flora Granter :
One tenant from my SFH texted me about yard damage from some people driving through the front of the yard from the street. He noticed the damage after his work today. He sent me some pictures that showed one deep tire mark. He asks me what to do. As a landlord, can I ask him to file with the HOA? He is a good tenant and has not had any issues before. I want to have a reasonable response to him, while I do not know what he expects from me.

Any advice for me?

Does the HOA handle this type of thing? If so, I'd have him contact them. If not I'd say he was the responsible party. Does your lease go over who is responsible for things like broken windows or yard damage?

Also worth noting that in theory if the lease says he's responsible that doesn't mean that things always play out that way in practice. Unlimited amount of variables at play at all times in this business.

If it’s a good tenant I would send a guy over to fix, pay a $100 and be done with it. No sense on wasting more energy than needed.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.