Firearms Lease Clause Example

14 Replies

Hoping to get help with finding a good, solid firearms clause to a lease. Have a tenant that’s about to begin a lease who has two handguns (works in law enforcement). Without starting from scratch, I’d love to see if anyone has an existing clause to a lease listing certain conditions that shall be adhered to by the tenant. Examples of what I’ve been finding seem to include requiring firearms liability insurance, not having firearms in property common areas, etc. Thank you for the help! Adam

Personally I would be glad to have him on the premises, ask him to secure the unused one in a safe and keep an eye on things for me  

What's your goal?  What are you trying to prevent?

I'm right with you. I hope someone can help you with this request bc I'd love to see it. you mentioned common area. do you rent by the room?
Originally posted by @Adam Warchal :
Hoping to get help with finding a good, solid firearms clause to a lease. Have a tenant that’s about to begin a lease who has two handguns (works in law enforcement). Without starting from scratch, I’d love to see if anyone has an existing clause to a lease listing certain conditions that shall be adhered to by the tenant. Examples of what I’ve been finding seem to include requiring firearms liability insurance, not having firearms in property common areas, etc.

Thank you for the help! Adam

How's the tenants supposed to take the gun to & from work if he can't go through the common areas with it?

@Adam Warchal  When did you find out about the guns?  Before or after you agreed to lease him the property?

What's your issue with a law-abiding, law enforcement person having a couple of guns?  My concern would be that he only owns only 2 guns.  What kind of law enforcement person only owns 2 guns? 

Find a disturbance or improper use clause.

I know this is late but did anyone find a good clause for this?  My biggest concern is if my tenant's visitor found the firearm and used it on the premises even though the tenant him/herself worked for law enforcement I want to make sure i'm not liable.

@Daniel Nishiguchi It should be stated in your lease anyways that the tenant is liable for all people / guests they have in the unit for accidents damages etc .. you can’t take a persons second amendment rights away because your scared of guns bro

I'd say it would be best to not address this specifically in a lease. I don't ask my tenants if they own firearms. I merely put in my lease that they, or their guests, cannot conduct illegal activity on the premises. 

I have a standard clause in my lease that firearms are not allowed on the property. I’ve had one tenant let me know that he does skeet shooting, keep the gun locked, etc. I removed the clause for him. I’m not entirely sure it’s enforceable as a clause, nor would I typIcally, though having it seems like it would be helpful if something bad did happen. I would just leave him to manage his own firearms.

Do you have a clause for knives? Baseball bats? Hammers?

@Adam Warchal

Man, I wish I had some tenants who worked in law enforcement, or even some who were legally allowed to carry around firearms, instead of ones who couldn't pass a background check.

But do you really think a trained law enforcement officer is going to leave his service weapon lying around in a shared kitchen or something? What is he going to do, pull it out of his pants to get comfortable munching his cereal and then get up and amble off to work without it? And this is Washington D.C...so we're not talking Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane here. If the LEO doesn't already have one, I'd buy him a little lockbox for his room and screw it in for him. Great thirty-buck investment.

Originally posted by @Mike McCarthy :
I have a standard clause in my lease that firearms are not allowed on the property. I’ve had one tenant let me know that he does skeet shooting, keep the gun locked, etc. I removed the clause for him.

I’m not entirely sure it’s enforceable as a clause, nor would I typIcally, though having it seems like it would be helpful if something bad did happen.

I would just leave him to manage his own firearms.

You better be prepared to get yourself sued out the *** for banning firearms. I'm sure most people will just find another place to live but man....you're literally violating a constitutional right. Even if you say you'll never enforce it doesnt matter, the courts aren't going to care. Politics and personal views aside I would strongly recommend removing this from your contracts. If youre that concerned over liability there are a dozen other ways to keep yourself cleared in case of a gun situation. 

I live in an 'open carry' state. I'm not going to tell my tenants they can't have firearms in their home. In fact, I would be in violation of State law by restricting firearms.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here