TENANTS FROM HELL #2 Tubs & Showers from hell. PICS INCLUDED!

62 Replies

TENANTS FROM HELL #2

Tubs & Showers from hell.

Running one of the largest rental portfolios in the Cleveland, Ohio area I have managed 1,000's of properties & dealt with countless tenants. In short, I have seen it all. From death threats to tenants being murdered to overdose to theft, property damage, fire, destruction, damage & everything else in between.

The purpose of this blog is to peel back the curtain on the Property Management Business and show you some of the real life things that have happened to me or members of my company 1st hand. It's not always sunshine & rainbows. If you have the stomach for it, it's a very rewarding business but sometimes it can be scary, disturbing, challenging & sometimes down right disgusting.

ENJOY!

____

The situation:

If you think you have seen a dirty tub, THINK AGAIN! Nothing compares a TENANT FROM HELL's TUB FROM HELL! Here is a nice compilation of some of the most savage tubs we have ran into over the years. These tubs are sure to make your skin crawl. 😷😷😷🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮 #TenantsFromHell

Do you need more Tenant From Hell stories in your life?

Stop by & drop a comment on my other tenant from hell threads.

TENANTS FROM HELL #1 Deplorable living conditions. PICS INCLUDED!

I don't have any that bad.

First one is a hoarder house I bought in 2016. The tub was probably one of the cleanest spots!

This is the tub from the house with floating feces in the basement (and me in flip-flops). They had something acidic in the tub and it ate away the glaze. Both of these tubs had to be refinished and now look brand new!

No one took a dump in any of those. Rookies.

Originally posted by @Jeremy Hua :

No one took a dump in any of those. Rookies.

😂😂😂 If you don't post a pic it didn't happen!

One woman I evicted left me a used tampon in the oven on the rack!  lmao!!  You definitely meet all kinds in the landlord business!

Originally posted by @Dave Charron :

One woman I evicted left me a used tampon in the oven on the rack!  lmao!!  You definitely meet all kinds in the landlord business!

LOL man that's a rough one. Like I said before tho PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! Tell me you snapped a photo of that one? Post it up.

I once had a tenant who thought using cups of Epsom salt for every bath was a good idea.....Lets just say....It wasn't...

Several of those tubs look like there is a standing water problem and water infiltration.

What is in that tub in pic #4?  Little black (matches?) and a magazine subscription card?

Originally posted by @Andrew K. :

Several of those tubs look like there is a standing water problem and water infiltration.

What is in that tub in pic #4?  Little black (matches?) and a magazine subscription card?

Great question. I don't know about you but I really only ever light fireworks off in one situation; outside on the 4th of July. That however, is not how a Tenant From Hell does business. A Tenant From Hell thinks that if it's the middle of the winter the bathtub in their duplex is a totally appropriate location to light off fireworks. I mean, c'mon it's cold outside bruhhh.

Originally posted by @Michael Ablan :

I once had a tenant who thought using cups of Epsom salt for every bath was a good idea.....Lets just say....It wasn't...

We haven't run into that one just yet. Fingers crossed maybe 2018 will be our year.

So say you have done an inspection midway through your 12-month lease with the tenant and you discovered this type of destruction to your property. What would be your next step?

Originally posted by @Jimmy Dang :

So say you have done an inspection midway through your 12-month lease with the tenant and you discovered this type of destruction to your property. What would be your next step?

Great question Jimmy.

Ya see landords (especially new ones) often see things like this & immediately freak out. They think we need to evict the tenant now! Why? Damage is done playa. Keep cashing those rent checks. No sense trying to stay dry after you have already jumped in the pool. 

Nothing will kill your return more than turnover. It's a terrible idea to artificially increase turnover. You are stuck paying to renovate the property when they move out. No need to do that more than necessary. You should only make a move to remove a tenant if they are not paying rent, doing something that could cause other tenants not to pay rent or doing something that could cause serious danger & liability to the Landlord.

@James Wise solid advice as usual! Do NOT kick out a paying tenant who has already screwed the apt up to the point to where it’s not like it’s going to get worse. If the tub needs replaced now...then it’ll still need replaced in 3 years and their nasty arse will continue to pay you to use that filthy thing. So let them!

Originally posted by @Brandon Hicks :

James Wise solid advice as usual! Do NOT kick out a paying tenant who has already screwed the apt up to the point to where it’s not like it’s going to get worse. If the tub needs replaced now...then it’ll still need replaced in 3 years and their nasty arse will continue to pay you to use that filthy thing. So let them!

Exactly!

@James Wise,

Thank you for the information. you sir are very wise ahaha *knee slap*. My initial reaction would be to kick the tenant out as quick as possible before they cause more destruction to the property. I have never heard of evicting a tenant due to the mistreatment of the property. Thinking about my lease agreement I don't remember seeing anything about evicting due to property damage, just only mispayments. 

When I run into filth like that , I bring my pump up sprayer , 80% bleach 5% dawn and 15% water and soak it down , many times 

I am the type to make business decisions on the dollars but when it comes to tenants disrespecting my investment I have zero tolerance. I would however never keep any bad tenant regardless of my cost. Additionally I can not invasion having any tenant doing that much damage before I discovered what was happening. 

I never think twice about serving notice on a tenant that has or is doing damage. I also inspect regularly (quarterly) and can catch problems early. Keeping such a tenant would result in additional damage. By catching it early and being able to plan/control "artificial" turnover expenses and vacancies are kept to a minimum. It boils down to management.

What I read is if you are not doing regular enough inspections there is no point in doing any inspections and therefor as long as rent is paid simply let the cards fall where they may. Interesting approach.

The case I guess could be made that these are inherited tenants from a bad landlord....again I prefer to clean house when I buy or asap.

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

I am the type to make business decisions on the dollars but when it comes to tenants disrespecting my investment I have zero tolerance. I would however never keep any bad tenant regardless of my cost. Additionally I can not invasion having any tenant doing that much damage before I discovered what was happening. 

I never think twice about serving notice on a tenant that has or is doing damage. I also inspect regularly (quarterly) and can catch problems early. Keeping such a tenant would result in additional damage. By catching it early and being able to plan/control "artificial" turnover expenses and vacancies are kept to a minimum. It boils down to management.

What I read is if you are not doing regular enough inspections there is no point in doing any inspections and therefor as long as rent is paid simply let the cards fall where they may. Interesting approach.

The case I guess could be made that these are inherited tenants from a bad landlord....again I prefer to clean house when I buy or asap.

What type of assett class do you work with? I assume it's probably on the higher end of the spectrum? Having a zero tolerance to tenants disrespecting the properties would not be a possibility in C-class or lower. Higher end you can have higher standards but lower end just comes with its own set of issues & way of life.

The photos in these tenants from hell threads are by no means the norm. They are of course the worst of the worst, hence why the threads are so entertaining. But the vast majority of the C-class or lower tenant base doesn't treat their rental units in the same way youd see an owner occupant in a nice suburb treating their home.

Also another point we haven't touched on yet is the actual eviction proceeding. Magistrates don't like displacing families. Winning a writ on a case of the tenant being dirty is not something simple like winning a non payment issue. Many landlords may be surprised to find themselves spending all that time & money only to have the case continued several times only to later outright loose it. 

Originally posted by @Matthew Paul :

When I run into filth like that , I bring my pump up sprayer , 80% bleach 5% dawn and 15% water and soak it down , many times 

Well done sir. Everything can be fixed.

How many rentals do you have in your portfolio? Mostly C class & lower?

@James Wise  Just picked up number 7 , number 8 later next month .  I stay in class b mid to low and class c on the high end territory , seen the lower end and dont want to deal with it . 

@James Wise  Just picked up number 7 , number 8 later next month .  I stay in class b mid to low and class c on the high end territory , seen the lower end and dont want to deal with it . 

Yea lower end is straight savage. Money is decent but sometimes you need to prepare for war to get it. We started off in really rough stuff & have gradually focused our attention on higher end properties as the war chest grew. Still buy them every now & again but only if they are really large buildings.

How big you planning on taking your portfolio? 

@James Wise I dont know how big it will get . I find my deals word of mouth . They seem to come in groups of 2 . This year ist 2 in about 45 days . Then 3 years ago it was 2 in 4 months . The MLS , I dont even bother looking . I am between Balto and Annapolis , there are no small multi families , every contractor I know and work with is looking for flips in addition to their own work . Prices are high in this area , so are rents . You rarely if ever find anything less than $ 150 K , and at $150K you need to drop $30k just to get it ready as a rental . i did just luck out on a single family 2/1 with a full unfinished basement , new roof , nice kitchen , updated electric , 4 year old heat pump in a great school district for $ 165K . I have to do minor drywall , small electrical , paint , and replace 2 windows . It will rent for $1550 a month .

@James Wise I dont know how big it will get . I find my deals word of mouth . They seem to come in groups of 2 . This year ist 2 in about 45 days . Then 3 years ago it was 2 in 4 months . The MLS , I dont even bother looking . I am between Balto and Annapolis , there are no small multi families , every contractor I know and work with is looking for flips in addition to their own work . Prices are high in this area , so are rents . You rarely if ever find anything less than $ 150 K , and at $150K you need to drop $30k just to get it ready as a rental . i did just luck out on a single family 2/1 with a full unfinished basement , new roof , nice kitchen , updated electric , 4 year old heat pump in a great school district for $ 165K . I have to do minor drywall , small electrical , paint , and replace 2 windows . It will rent for $1550 a month .

Yea, things are a little different post crash. Everyone & their brother is gunning for flips. We try to do 1 per quarter but even that can be challenging to find enough inventory with worth while spreads.

Wow. Just wow. You have to wonder sometimes! I have never seen anything like that and I’ve seen quite a bit. Best of luck with everything!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here