Best bang-for-the-buck appliance set?

10 Replies

Hi All

I have a rental that needs new appliances. I'd actually like to get a full set as they're due to be replaced, plus I'm looking for a deal for a bundle.  Can anyone recommend the best bang-for-the-buck appliance set?  All standard sizes, I'd like the bundle to at least include:

Fridge (around 37" x 67")

Stove/Oven (Gas)

Dishwasher

Washer/Dryer (Gas)

Microwave (nice to have but not necessary)

Property is located in South Bay area, California. I'd like to get a decent set of appliances that will last, but definitely not on the expensive side. I'd like to buy new so they won't require much maintenance in the future plus can be delivered/installed. Thanks in advance!

@Darryl I.

Frigidaire usually has pretty cheap new kitchen appliances compared to their competitors. For washer and dryer, you can check Whirlpool or Amana.

I second Frigidaire. They have a really nice entry level stainless steel set that I have been using for 5+ years.

Frigidaire has an appealing cost of entry, but of all of the appliances at our properties, they are the ones that have the most frequent repair calls.  Don't get me wrong, the calls aren't frequent, but when DO I get a call about a fridge (mostly fridges), it is always the frigidaire.

Updated 10 months ago

"When I DO"

What are you guys picking up a Frigidaire stainless bundle for?

Originally posted by @Brian Garrett :

I just picked up six bundles for about 2k each. About 700 for the refrigerator, 550 for the oven, 300 for the microwave, 300 for the dishwasher. Plus all the miscellaneous cords, accessories and tax. Mostly big box retailers like HD, Lowes, Best Buy. 

Originally posted by @Peter Sautter :
Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:

I just picked up six bundles for about 2k each. About 700 for the refrigerator, 550 for the oven, 300 for the microwave, 300 for the dishwasher. Plus all the miscellaneous cords, accessories and tax. Mostly big box retailers like HD, Lowes, Best Buy. 

Nice the Home Depot by me said they don’t sell any bundles unless it’s a major holiday sale then occasionally they’ll have some. Otherwise each item is just sold individually.

If you can wait they usually have sales every so often for decent prices. If you cant then would say shop Lowes and ask them to run it through the QSP. They can do this for any purchase over $1500 (i believe is the starting price). They will let you know within a few minutes of how much more they can offer you. I get 3-5 QSP discounts a month and they all run from 8% to 19% off, so worth asking. This is off the sales price as well. The people at the pro desk should be able to help you out with it.  I also check the scratch and dent isle when ever im there. If I know I will be needing a certain appliance coming up, I will pick it up then. A lot of them the dent is on the side or back and you would never see it.  (Make sure you ask them to knock a little more off that price too, they usually will).

I buy my sets from Lowes due to convenience and military discount.  I don't worry about brand but purchase whats on sale.  I started buying stainless around a year ago due to low cost premium.  I purchased a 4 piece set for around $1,400 last week.  I love the look on a solid potential renter wife/mom's face when she sees the appliances.  He had me at stainless...

If you have a Sear Outlet store near by go that route. You can pick up minor scratch and dent or just open box for really cheap. My fridge was in our house was originally $2100 we got it got $1300 because it got returned after it was delivered. I recently priced out a set for a flip I’m doing fridge, oven and dishwasher for $1600.

Do you have a store that sells used appliances nearby? After your first tenant leaves, the appliances will be used for your second tenant anyways. 

All appliances I buy for my rentals are used. I buy stainless steel and you can’t noticed they have been used, sometimes you can see a small dent or scratch, sometimes they are floor samples that have never been used.

I usually buy the set you are looking to buy for about $1,200:

Fridge and stove ($325 each)

Washer/Dryer ($300 stackable or sepárate units)

Dishwasher ($100 with plastic interior; $125-$150 for stainless interior)

Microwave ($150 - I buy this item somewhere else as they usually don’t carry them)

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here