Property Management Help

5 Replies

Hello all, I am a 22 year old guy who just recently got hired as a "property manager" but I have no experience in this field. I do listen to the BP podcast all the time and have read up on real estate investing but property management is a whole new ball game. Is there any advice that you all would give me and also do I need any type of license to be able to manage real estate? Thank you so much and I hope to be able to talk to some of you about it!

The newest BP podcast with the guy who got kidnapped references two certifications for property managers. Read the notes if you don’t listen to it.

Wait...

Someone hired you as their property manager and you don't even know if you need a license?

Read this first

You may not need a license if you are an "on-site" manager, meaning you live on the property you manage. Even then, you should read some books or take some classes before you get into a bind.

No offense but this is exactly why Property Managers get a bad rap. There are far too many people entering this field without the slightest idea of what they're doing and it reflects on those of us that have worked hard to create professional companies.

Jose,
Definitely join NARPM, will be the best decision you ever made. They can help you build and educate yourself on the right way to conduct business in PM

Yeah, I completely agree with you Nathan, that's why I was on here trying to get everything figured out and see what I needed to do. I certainly don't want to get myself into a bind and I don't want to give the career of "Property Management" a bad rap. I just want to educate myself in the best way possible and I figured that Bigger Pockets was the best way to do that.

And thank you so much Kim! I will definitely check it out. I just want to be able to do a great job here and in the Real Estate world. I eventually want to get into investing and managing my own properties, and I took the job that I am in now to be able to dip my toes, so to speak, into the world of Real Estate.

Yeah, I completely agree with you @Nathan G. , that's why I was on here trying to get everything figured out and see what I needed to do. I certainly don't want to get myself into a bind and I don't want to give the career of "Property Management" a bad rap. I just want to educate myself in the best way possible and I figured that Bigger Pockets was the best way to do that.

As I will not be living on the property I will have to get my Real Estate Broker License right?

And thank you so much @Kim Meredith Hampton ! I will definitely check it out. I just want to be able to do a great job here and in the Real Estate world. I eventually want to get into investing and managing my own properties, and I took the job that I am in now to be able to dip my toes, so to speak, into the world of Real Estate.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here