• Rosenberg, TX
Votes |
CAUTION: POSSIBLE SCAM

Huy Thai
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rosenberg, TX
Posted Feb 19 2018, 07:42

Hello BP,

I wanted to share with you a possible scam I've noticed in the Houston market (could be others too).  I have multiple properties vacant and have received calls from interested parties naturally. I showed one of the listings and it turns out they were NOT looking for themselves but for clients they were doing "credit repair" for.  This person wanted to put in a renter with an option to purchase after 2 years. Even went so far as asking if possible, could they put  a lock box on my door to show other potential credit repair candidates. His selling point was that they made 3 to 4X the rent. Of course I did not pursue this any further but have since gotten more requests of the same type.... "would you be interested in renting to buy?". I might be overreacting but my gut tells me something is off. Maybe they talk you into a lockbox and then act as if it's their property and try to take deposit and 1st month from unsuspecting people? 

Maybe someone with more knowledge on the topic can share, but I wanted to bring awareness so no one gets duped. 

Loading replies...