Duplex with a single gas meter and thermostat

4 Replies

Hello, I recently purchased a duplex and realized (...) that there is a single gas line and a single thermostat. Can anyone give me advice on how to structure the leases for the two tenants to account for this. The duplex is in Baltimore city, MD. thanks, Tarik

Congrats on taking action and getting into the game! In my opinion, it is hard to be completely fair when you are splitting up utilities.. I recommend to split the utilities two ways evenly and MAKE SURE to include it in the LEASE. That way, everyone would attempt to be conservative with gas/electricity/heat/AC. That seems the most fair to me.  

Also, you should look at using some of the repair/CapEx fund from your first year to just pay to have each side metered.. Here is a discussion I have referenced multiple times talking about the costs for doing such a thing. Good luck with your endeavors and Go Orioles!

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/34...

Thanks Sean, much appreciated!

Originally posted by @Tarik Nabi :
Hello,

I recently purchased a duplex and realized (...) that there is a single gas line and a single thermostat.

Can anyone give me advice on how to structure the leases for the two tenants to account for this. The duplex is in Baltimore city, MD.

thanks,

Tarik

I agree with Sean.

I have been dividing the bill evenly between renters and had no problem in 12 years, so you should be fine.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here