Votes
Lenny B.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Can I evict a tenant in Sacramento?

Lenny B.
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Mar 7 2018, 00:21

Hello everyone, Wanted to see what people think I should do in this situation. 

I recently bought a fourplex in Rancho Cordova, California. Fully occupied with long term tenants that are months-to-month and have had rent raised on them ones in the last 4+ years. I sent them a 60 day notices informing that in 60 days the rent would go up and telling them they would have to pay higher rent or move out. Some tenants protested, but nobody moved out.

One tenant started giving me problems - first the toilet started leaking and damaged laminated floor. Literally 2 days later, he reported a leak under the sink that damaged the kitchen floor. 

The units are not in good shape and I would rather this and other tenants move out so i can do complete remodeling on the unit(s). At this point, my question is this:

Given the fact that I raised his rent starting 3/1/2018 (with the 60 day prior notice) and the fact that he is now reporting problems that I am fixing - can i give him a 60 day eviction notice stating that I would like to completely repair and remodel the unit? The reason I ask is because I don't to be sued for retaliatory eviction. I have a history of text messages showing that I immediately reacted to all complaints and sent a contractor to fix things. So, I don't think the retaliatory eviction claim will hold. The units are not in good condition and need to be completely remodeled. 

I am also concerned that I have a city rental inspection in 10 days and he can sabotage it.

By the way, this area doesn't have rent control.

Any advice is appreciated. 

Loading replies...