Votes |
Mini Splits in New England

Nicholas D.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • New Bedford, MA
Posted Mar 14 2018, 08:57

Hello guys and gals,

I am currently in the process of purchasing a 7 unit complex (built in late 1800s). The building consist of 4 studio units and 3 single bedroom units. Each Unit ranges from roughly 500Sf-650SF max. The issue lies that all the units have baseboard hot water heat, however, it is through one older boiler that I am responsible. The same lies with the hot water boilers, it presently has 2 large water tanks that the landlord is responsible for payment of the natural gas. The electric is also only on one meter, where I am responsible for the payment. The units are all currently occupied. My goal is to rehab as each tenant leaves, mostly focusing on lowering my expenses (utilities). I will be looking to have each unit sub metered with electric and to clean up the co-mingling. But when it comes to heat solutions, I am a little bit lost. I had stumbled upon the idea of AC mini-splits, that would sub meter these units as well as offer A/C, which would make the units more marketable. I am curious if anyone has had experience with these units in the New England area? I would like to avoid purchasing 7 brand new boilers if possible. The thought with mini-splits is it would allow me to lower my expenses, and keep the renovations more or less isolated so I'm not having to redo plumbing or ductwork etc etc to other units that are currently occupied. My other concern that I recently just thought of was what do landlords due if there are any power outages and tenants are left with no electric, what are landlords doing that run into this same problem?

Any questions, suggestions or thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you!

Loading replies...