Bad Tenants storing trash/waste on property

3 Replies

My father-in-law recently had tenants break contract and leave early. Among many other issues, we found that instead of paying for a trash pickup service, the tenants had been storing all their trash in the barn on the same property. Is this illegal in and of itself, in addition to violating the signed contract? What legal options can my father-in-law pursue at this point?

Isn't there a deposit?  I would first seize that and use those funds.  As far as going after them, IMO if they are the type that is too cheap for trash removal they are likely unable to have funds to go after them in court for.

As far as being illegal, my guess is most likely it is illegal.

Originally posted by @Greg Dyer :

My father-in-law recently had tenants break contract and leave early. Among many other issues, we found that instead of paying for a trash pickup service, the tenants had been storing all their trash in the barn on the same property. Is this illegal in and of itself, in addition to violating the signed contract? What legal options can my father-in-law pursue at this point?

I agree with the previous poster.

Also, to alleviate this concern with his next tenant, I suggest your FiL contract to begin service with the garbage collection company, increase the rent by the amount of that cost, and then market the house as "comes with garbage collection!"

Originally posted by @Greg Dyer :

You have their deposit? Call a trash hauling outfit and take the costs out of the deposit. Any other damages use the deposit. Take them to court for any additional costs not covered by the deposit and for the lease break if you are owed money. 

If you don’t  know their new address their old address (your rental) is where you send the demand letter and have them served. When i take someone to small claims I use a service to serve them.  If they cant be found you’ll keep all the correspondence sealed and bring it to court. 

You’ll get the  judgement and while you may  never see a penny, trying to find a place with a judgement or getting credit just got a lot harder and more expensive for them. 

On3 thing yo7 May want to do in the future is actually get n your car and go check on your properties condition. Don’t assume the tenant is taking care of it.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here