Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth C.
Pro Member
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
High Utility Usage by Tenant (Landlord Paid)

Kenneth C.
Pro Member
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Apr 10 2018, 07:22

BP:

I'm about 4 months in to owning my first two SFH's with carryover tenants. Thus far, we have had a great working relationship. I purposely staggered the leases to expire 2 months apart, and I made them shorter so that I could get a feel for the tenants and address any issues with a new lease if they opt to stay on. What I have discovered thus far is an abnormally high water bill (e.g. $160.00) of which I pay. My instincts are telling me that they may be running a make shift laundromat for their extended family. I'm not exactly sure. My intention is to reach out to the tenant directly via "certified mail" and also give them a call to find out what exactly is going on. Not in a accusatory manner, but I'll ask some prodding questions re: if there are any potential leaks or the like in the home that they are aware of. I'm sure there aren't, but by taking this approach it will make them aware that their usage is a problem and hopefully they'll be more conscious of the cost that they are running up.

How have you all handle similar situations?

KC

Loading replies...