Smart Locks for Rental Property

7 Replies

Hey everyone, so we just moved into our new duplex we purchased and I've read on here that it's a good idea to immediately change locks when moving in.  Has anyone bothered with smart locks?  I was thinking it would maybe be convenient short-term and long-term when it comes to tenants moving in/out because we'd be able to change the code or fob.  Obviously the price is significantly more than regular locks, but just figured I'd see if anyone has experience using them in their rental properties.

I purchase Shlage electronic locks for all of my rentals and find them to be very effective. 90-100$ per lock and they are very convenient, especially when doing renovations after purchase. 

Electronic locks are good because you can also set a master code that enables you access even if the tenant tries changing the combination.

I also recommend Landlordlocks.com for standard locks that can be changed easily by anyone. This enables you to rekey a unit every time in just a couple minutes. I know Property Mangers in Texas are required to change locks after every tenant and they swear by these.

Originally posted by @Mark Taliercio :

I purchase Shlage electronic locks for all of my rentals and find them to be very effective. 90-100$ per lock and they are very convenient, especially when doing renovations after purchase. 

Which one do you usually use?

I use these off amazon for $50 while renovating and showing the units.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HNHAP0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When the unit gets rented I put on a regular locks back on. 

Anybody in Texas using the landlordLocks.com setup? 

Does it meet the Texas Rental Code Requirements for lock changes? 

Appreciate your response!

Landlordlocks uses the same cores/techniques that locksmiths and large buildings use. They are just as secure as any other lockset.

I don’t use them, but I’m sure at some point I’ll make the leap.