Best places to advertise rentals

14 Replies

@Kristin Seitz I have had a lot of luck just using zillow rent manager and craigslist. Zillow syndicates out to multiple other sites, so you get plenty of coverage. I was overwhelmed with the response last summer when I tried to rent out my apartments in Berwyn. I had over 70 interested applicants in the first 24 hours! This is obviously very area specific though. Is your area a high rental demand area?

@John Warren Thank you!  We are in South Florida and the rental market is pretty good here so Zillow might be a good option in addition to Craigslist.  I will look into their fee schedule. We are very much newbies with only one rental currently and working on the second.  I have never had to advertise my current unit.  It has been rented by word of mouth over the last 10+ years but now that we are trying to expand our real estate interests I want to make sure I know how to spread the word quickly to reduce any vacancies.  Thanks again!

@Kristin Seitz This article might help you as it goes through an in-dept review of your various options. To be honest, this all depends on your local market. Some websites are really good in certain markets and horrible in others. 

If you're in a hot rental market, just using Cragslist and Zillow Rent Manager alone should suffice. But no harm in checking out the other options. 

Best of luck!

@Kristin Seitz , in addition to the ones mentioned, I post directly to Hotpads.com. Zillow, Trulia and Hotpads are all owned by the same company, and Hotpads is their "rental" site. If you post to Hotpads it will put your listing on Zillow and Trulia, and less information gets lost through that transition than if you were to post directly to Zillow. 

Hi Kristin, 

I would focus on all of the larger listing sites out there. The more of a variety of sites you're on, the better off you'll be in my opinion. Everyone mentioned what I would, but I'd also consider posting on Facebook marketplace as well! 

I am on a couple of local Facebook rental sites.  I just put a few pictures and info and have people PM me.  You can then check their facebook pages and the clerk of court's site or evictions, lawsuits and arrests.

@Omar Khan -do you know if the other sites the article mentions already syndicate from Zillow? While CraigsList does NOT, HotPads & Trullia do (Zillow owns both). Thank you so much in advance for your response!

Originally posted by @Malgorzata Sadowska :

@Omar Khan-do you know if the other sites the article mentions already syndicate from Zillow? While CraigsList does NOT, HotPads & Trullia do (Zillow owns both). Thank you so much in advance for your response!

No idea about the syndicates. To be honest, I wouldn't be too bothered. I'm only concerned with getting quality tenants. If someone else can make money along the way without disrupting my business, good for them.

I agree with @Omar Khan with Craigslist and Zillow. However, my partner is a realtor so he puts our rentals on the MLS too and it gets lots of exposure there. We put in the description that we offer $500 to a realtor who brings us a tenant for our lease options.

I filled all 3 of my lease option houses with tenants in exactly 4 weeks all using Facebook online local yard sale pages. Craigslist got 0 hits, trulia/zillow/hot pads combined got about 3.