How to rent to a tenant moving in from out of state?

5 Replies

How to rent to a tenant moving in from out of state? Do we have them pay the deposit first and conduct a background/credit check? Do we have them sign the lease electronically or through email? 

Conversely, if I am to rent a room or place from out of state, what should I do to secure a location? I will be taking all of my belongings in my car. I am planning to move from California to Texas... 

Hey @Tom Smith great question. So you would def have them do the application online and fee. Run the credit check / background, income verification then the deposit and lease agreement also signed online.
The www.reluctantlandlord.com recommends cosy

Thanks for the replies guys. So it seems like this works very well for landlords, but is it risky if I were to rent sight-unseen and wire people money? I heard there can be people on craigslist that just run with the money. 

I screen them like anyone else, collect the deposit electronically, and have them sign a Holding Agreement electronically. I include a "sight unseen" clause and warn them verbally that they are renting sight unseen and that I will not let them break their lease without penalty if they show up and change their mind. They sign it and they still sometimes show up and change their mind but I charge them for it.

Originally posted by @Tom Smith :

Thanks for the replies guys. So it seems like this works very well for landlords, but is it risky if I were to rent sight-unseen and wire people money? I heard there can be people on craigslist that just run with the money. 

Not if you use a realtor and rent something that is listed on the MLS or from an actual apartment building.

You mentioned Craigslist - why on earth would you do anything on there?? especially with regards to Real Estate...Maybe If i was having a garage sale or selling some baby furniture, but that's it! :-)