• Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Contractor (electrical) Overcharging after work is complete

Todd Michaels
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Jun 7 2018, 05:33

We gutted a unit and hired an electrician to install new can lights, rerun all the electrical in the kitchen, install a larger breaker box, etc.  The company is run by the owner and he has 4 electricians work for him, the electricians do most of the work themselves including e-mailing the the customer.  We had used this company last year for some outside light replacements so it was a small, couple line item project with no issues.

We never had a signed contract for this new work and it all boils down to the worker charging us $2000 to cut holes in drywall which I specifically stated that I would cut the holes, and on the final invoice the owner changed the wording to be installing outlets in the kitchen...  Here is the original text of the e-mail from the worker completely unedited besides names "--XXXX XXXX with XXXX Electric here is a rough est to replace panel with 20 pos panel $800 but could be more if we have to replace pipe coming in, to install cans to cut in cans and fish in cans your looked at $275 per can + cost of can and trim 14 × 275 =3780 + price of cans, if ceiling is completely open we can take $60 off per can we charge 200 per opening and 225 per circuit, dimmers ate $45 each time and mat to move circuit for laundry and anything else that need done just let us know when your ready"

The original breakdown of all the work by the worker had these 2 line items: 

12-Instalm 10 opening at $200 per opening=$2000

13-Install 4 circuits in kitchen at $225 per circuit=$900"

The actual invoice changed 12 to read "Supply and Install duplex G.F.C.I. outlet in bath or kit.  Qty 10, $200 each, $2000". Note that they did zero work in the bathroom. They installed 4 GFCI outlets in the kitchen and 3 normal outlets as well.  Line #13 on the invoice is the same as the quote.

We have paid them $8000 so far and the final invoice is stated at $12,000.  We never signed a contract and never got an official quote, just e-mails similar to was I posted above.  All the work was done and the company is located in Chicago.  We have spoken with the owner several times and will talk to him today, but assuming he doesn't budge what can we do?  

Loading replies...