Votes
Jennifer A.
  • Sun Prairie, WI
Votes |
Tenant Turnover Question

Jennifer A.
  • Sun Prairie, WI
Posted Jun 7 2018, 08:34

I have my first tenant turnover in 5 years and I would like some thoughts as I move forward.  First, prior to the tenant occupying the property, this house was majorly rehabbed with new carpeting in living room, new luxury tile in kitchen, new appliances, new bathroom (tile, floors, cabinet, toilet, etc.), hardwood floors were immaculate and the entire house was painted top to bottom.

These tenants have been very physically hard on the property.  Their kids have written on the walls with crayons, the vanity installed 5 years ago has been scratched to the point it needs to be repainted (it is white and a lot of paint has been scratched off), the caulking around the sink and tile has turned black, the hardwood floors are extremely dirty and will likely need to be sanded and stained and the carpet must be replaced.  Plus, the stove that was new when they moved in is filthy and has been damaged by their cast iron pots they sometimes use (gouges out of the surface).

That said, they've lived in this property for 5 years so some wear and tear is expected.  Of what I have explained above, what do you think is normal wear and tear versus excessive?  How do you draw the line?  My husband is livid that the carpet needs to be replaced and we will need to sand and stain the floors, but carpet isn't supposed to last forever anyway.

Loading replies...