Hvac fliter cleanliness

11 Replies

Has anyone figured out why after 3-4 months tenant a, b and c has HVAC filters that look 100 years old and completely clogged but tenant d’s filter looks brand new?  All have pets and no smell of smoke in the house. All have different levels of cleanliness.  Some units old and some are new. 

Hi Bryan - 

I can't answer your question, but I'm curious: do you pay for the filter replacements as part of your maintenance or do you simply "encourage" your tenants to do it on a recurring basis? I just bought purchases my first buy and hold. Thanks in advance. 

I replace them myself.  Every time they say “I just changed that not too long ago”. It’s always a lie.  Plus.... you can use that opportunity to “check for leaks” and ensure the place isn’t getting trashed.   

Windows closed.  Sorry I should have included that.  It’s been puzzling me for a while.  

A - is a very clean house.  Great tenants.  Older unit.  Filter gets almost black it’s so dirty. 

B - dirty people who don’t clean.  Unit is brand new.  Filter gets nasty.  

C - sloppy people with a shedding dog.  Brand new unit.  Filter gets thick with white/grayish whatever. 

D - sloppy people.  Older unit.  Filter looks brand new.  I even asked them if they run it because it looked so new. 

It’s just weird.  I can go a year without changing mine and it’s barely dirty.  

Originally posted by @Bryan N. :

I replace them myself.  Every time they say “I just changed that not too long ago”. It’s always a lie.  Plus.... you can use that opportunity to “check for leaks” and ensure the place isn’t getting trashed.   

Exactly.  The HVAC will last longer if you change the filters regularly,  and tenants just don't do it even if you give them the filters.

Two of our properties are near a RR track,  but there is a fence blocking the RR track from view.  However,  those filters are always twice as filthy at least as my other properties.  Apparently there is more pollution from trains than I realized.

I had someone in one of my 2 bdrm that the furnace filter (no AC) would get filthy dirty every 3 weeks in the winter. The same apt with different people this past winter would go almost 3 months and it wouldn't get as dirty as the former. I have a 3 bdrm with a family of 5 and it goes 2-3 months and that doesn't get as dirty as the first one. I don't have a clue. I check them weekly in the winter and change them as needed.