Do I pay for my tenants hotel room?

11 Replies

Yesterday my tenants AC broke. They needed to spend the night in a hotel room because the AC repairman couldn’t make it until the next morning at 11am. I’ve been researching the requirement about whether I need to reimburse my tenant for the night in the hotel room or how that whole process works. Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide a website for me to review? I keep finding different policies. I am in the state of Missouri. Thanks!

When we had a broken water pipe in our concrete foundation slab (will never buy another house on a slab - lesson learned) and the house needed water remediation we discounted our tenant's next monthly rent payment by the amount of the hotel stay after they provided the hotel receipt. It's been a long time, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but it seems like we may have also offered a credit on their next month's rent to offset the higher cost of utilities during that time as well. We're in Virginia and I do not know if our laws address this, but we just did what seemed fair. 

I just went through this and actually had the tenant schedule the repair with the technician a few days later then it could have been. That was their choice.

I didn’t offer to pay for a hotel room and they didn’t ask. It was around 80 degrees in the house during this time. That’s not comfortable but unless you’re elderly or have some sort of underlying medical condition it also probably won’t kill you.

The repair happened, I the landlord pay for it and everything continues as normal.

To clarify the tenant in my case is not elderly and I can’t speak to their medical condition lol

Originally posted by @Ralph Miller :
Yesterday my tenants AC broke. They needed to spend the night in a hotel room because the AC repairman couldn’t make it until the next morning at 11am. I’ve been researching the requirement about whether I need to reimburse my tenant for the night in the hotel room or how that whole process works. Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide a website for me to review? I keep finding different policies. I am in the state of Missouri. Thanks!

I would have to say  no . The next day is excellent response time .  Especially this time of the year . 

@Ralph Miller in most states air condition or lack of does not consider a property inhabitable. So they may not be due anything. You should read your lease. Mine are specific that if air conditioning is provided it does not effect habitability and it is not guaranteed.

If it is silent then they should file a claim with their insurance company. If anything you would not pay hotel but reduce /credit the rent.

A/C is not a habitability issue in most states, so I recommend a hard no. Especially since it was fixed the next day. Can anybody reasonably expect anything better? If you want to be a nice guy, you can credit them one day of rent, but its not necessary. In the future, you can keep a window unit on hand and offer it to them when this happens.

Wooowww, smh.  As someone who spent 5 days without a/c...in New Orleans, in August, with 95 degrees...when a tropical storm knocked out the power in most areas, your tenants sound ridiculous.  I realize people have different temperature sensitivities, but still.  It's unpleasant, but manageable.  Especially with a fan.  I could potentially understand longer than a few days...and even that would depend on how bad the heat was.  But It was one night and the a/c was fixed the next day.  Unless you promised to pay for their hotel ahead of time, there is no way I would cover that.

FWIW, I do keep a spare window unit that has both a/c and heat.  JIC there is a temporary period of time when there is either no heat or no a/c in a house.  It pretty much only helps one room, but at least it is something if its more than a day or so for repairs/parts.

@Ralph Miller not required by law and next day service is very fast. A tenant accepts some risk and expense living in any property. I suspect there are many homes in your city with no air conditioning, so going a day without is hardly inhumane. They chose to go to the hotel. If you feel they are a good tenant and decide to cover the cost as a good will, that is your choice. Just be careful, because next time there is a problem you have set the precedence that you pay for hotels.

@Ralph Miller what happens when your A/C breaks at home? Do you move into a motel and then send the bill to your mortgage company? Good luck!

I treat my tenants the same way I treat myself. I fix it as quickly as I can to the best of my ability but I am under no obligation to make their life perfect every minute of every day.

NO As someone who has spent 8 and 7 days without power for hurricanes, I agree with @Jennifer T. I did not ask the electric company to pay for my hotel for 8 and 7 days. They were working on the problem and fixed it as fast as they could. As @Caleb Heimsoth pointed out, next day service during the hot Summer months is excellent timing in the deep South. Going to a hotel room was their personal choice. Had you waited 2 weeks to call someone, that would be a different story.....

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here