Why is my rental application taking so long?

23 Replies

I applied 6/27 with the first months rent and the application fee. 

It’s now 7/7. 11 days since I applied. They’re closed Sunday/Monday’s and were closed the 7/4 & 7/5. Making it 7 official business days and I’ve heard nothing! I know I’m being impatient but, they have a large lump some of money of mine and I’d like to keep applying if I’m going to be denied.

About myself I make 3x the rent paid weekly. I have been in my first appartment for 3 years in great standing with my landlord. I just don’t have the best credit. 

They have contacted my landlord yesterday & i checked my job has not been contacted. 

Any insight anyone? 

Originally posted by Account Closed:

I don’t know why they would request first months rent before you’re approved. sounds weird. 

It’s a new trend in chicago. I don’t know why. Use to be security deposits then move in fees, now it’s first month rent up front. If approved that goes toward your first months rent if denied it’s refunded to you. 

It’s a real property management company. It’s a paper app, I have all my receipts and my money order hasn’t been cashed yet. 

They’re closed tomorrow and Monday so i’d be on hold another two days when I could be applying other places. 

@Sergio Duke there could be many reasons. But best is to call and ask about the status and if there is any information you may have forgotten to submit with the application. If they have a multiple application scenario, they may be waiting for someone else who is better qualified as far as credit is concerned to sign a lease agreement. If the other person backs out, then they may turn to you as a secondary option. If they were to return the $ before a lease is signed then they risk losing you as potential tenant as well.

Unfortunately, also to consider is if you still want to be a resident with them. If the application process/lack of communication is this cumbersome, I would worry about what it would be like if you needed to get a hold of them for something that needs to be fixed in your unit. Though my company is small, we always get back to applicants within 3 business days at the latest.

Originally posted by @Ryan McKelvey :

Sergio Duke there could be many reasons. But best is to call and ask about the status and if there is any information you may have forgotten to submit with the application. If they have a multiple application scenario, they may be waiting for someone else who is better qualified as far as credit is concerned to sign a lease agreement. If the other person backs out, then they may turn to you as a secondary option. If they were to return the $ before a lease is signed then they risk losing you as potential tenant as well.

Ah, so when I applied they removed the listing I was assuming I was the first to actually since they removed the appartment from their site. 

But, they could still be weighing options never crossed my mind. Didnt know it was possible 

@Sergio Duke  

If the PM company has removed the listing I would assume they have a signed lease and deposit for a new tenant. But I hate to assume things. Hence why I never remove a rental listing until security deposit is received and lease is signed. In our market here in Jacksonville, NC we are receiving multiple applications on most properties. 

Originally posted by @Christy Browning :

Unfortunately, also to consider is if you still want to be a resident with them. If the application process/lack of communication is this cumbersome, I would worry about what it would be like if you needed to get a hold of them for something that needs to be fixed in your unit. Though my company is small, we always get back to applicants within 3 business days at the latest.

Ooo this is so true. I never thought about it like that. I haven’t spoken with anyone since Monday. I regret applying now especially putting up first months rent like they request 

@Sergio Duke 

If the PM company has removed the listing I would assume they have a signed lease and deposit for a new tenant. But I hate to assume things. Hence why I never remove a rental listing until security deposit is received and lease is signed. In our market here in Jacksonville, NC we are receiving multiple applications on most properties. 

When I intially applied they told me they’d town down the listing. I think they did that cause they didn’t want to show a unit that’s been applied to already. 

Giving 1st month rent at the time of the application.... that's a new one........ I can understand the "if you don't have the $$ don't apply" technique but it suck for tenants that are looking and applying at multiple places. That can tie up quite a bit of $$ and limit you while you are waiting for the "refund" to get back to you if you don't get accepted.

My units I often get 10-12 applications....... that would drop a ton if this was the "norm" around here

Assume this has past the legal test.....

Well if that is true, that is bad business on their part. Never stop advertising until after it is a done deal. 

UPDATE! I got a approved with a 7 month lease aggrement due to credit and my landlord’s shady bad practices. Apparently she wouldn’t fill out the form the company requested. She only would speak only verbally and evaded the hard questions but, only sung my praises. 

I know I won’t be late on my rent never have but, a seven month lease doesn’t feel right. Worth it? It’s my dream apt and neighborhood 

there are many reasons for a 7 month lease. One of the biggest ones would be to make the lease end at the peak of renting season. To get top $. So they can reevaluate the market and possibly do a rent increase. So be prepared for the possibility of your rent to go up or move out in 7 months.

there are many reasons for a 7 month lease. One of the biggest ones would be to make the lease end at the peak of renting season. To get top $. So they can reevaluate the market and possibly do a rent increase. So be prepared for the possibility of your rent to go up or move out in 7 months.

He said to build credit with his company. And that’s the rent would be the same if resigned. I guess my credit score and my current landlords inability to physically fill out the form raised a red flag. 

A 7 month lease sounds like a great deal for you.  I only offer MTM leases.  ;)

As mentioned by @Ryan McKelvey I've adjusted my lease terms to conclude/renew at peak season. But I usually go longer (12 months + adjustment) not shorter. And Sergio indicated he's in Chicago, so 7 months is January/February, probably the worst months for people moving in Midwest, if not right behind December as worst due to the holidays.  

And if a tenant is not lease-compliant, you act on it. You typically don't wait for the lease to expire to address tenant non-performance. So I find this weird with the PM offering only a 7 month lease.

Lastly, I find it curious that a renter @Sergio Duke  would come to the BP website to post a question like this. Is it odd....or is it actually pretty smart? Hmmmm....

Originally posted by @Dave G. :

As mentioned by @Ryan McKelvey I've adjusted my lease terms to conclude/renew at peak season. But I usually go longer (12 months + adjustment) not shorter. And Sergio indicated he's in Chicago, so 7 months is January/February, probably the worst months for people moving in Midwest, if not right behind December as worst due to the holidays.  

And if a tenant is not lease-compliant, you act on it. You typically don't wait for the lease to expire to address tenant non-performance. So I find this weird with the PM offering only a 7 month lease.

Lastly, I find it curious that a renter @Sergio Duke would come to the BP website to post a question like this. Is it odd....or is it actually pretty smart? Hmmmm....

Inn definitely going to have my lawyer there to look at the lease agreement. To make sure raising the rent won’t be a issue. Cause I’d hate to move again during the worst time to move in chicago.

But, I’m going to prove myself since it’s my dream studio and neighborhood 

I’m weary and move carefully regarding anything I do so I knew BP would be a great place to gain insight I didn’t have perviously 

Something seems fishy to with me a 7 month lease. I would be sure that in six months you have enough saved to cover the cost of moving, a months rent, and a security deposit in the event that they do not renew your lease or raise you rent by a lot. That way you will not be stuck or in a bad situation if you have to move. If nothing goes wrong in seven months you could always use the money saved then to pay down debt.

I could understand if they have issues with your background check for them to deny you or to offer you a month to month lease. But a seven month lease makes me think they have plans for your apartment in seven months that do not include you.

Originally posted by @Amy Beth :

Something seems fishy to with me a 7 month lease. I would be sure that in six months you have enough saved to cover the cost of moving, a months rent, and a security deposit in the event that they do not renew your lease or raise you rent by a lot. That way you will not be stuck or in a bad situation if you have to move. If nothing goes wrong in seven months you could always use the money saved then to pay down debt.

I could understand if they have issues with your background check for them to deny you or to offer you a month to month lease. But a seven month lease makes me think they have plans for your apartment in seven months that do not include you.

Absolutely agree. I need to get to the bottom of it at the lease signing. 7 is such a odd number.