Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 16 votes
Greetings, I started to hijack another thread before I realized this is my own issue. My PM in Denver recently had a significant charge on my statement for a wasp nest removal ($200). Ok, The amount is high, but things like this are so it's not my main concern.
The thing is wasps are quite common in Denver and when leasing the property I specifically elected not to pay for any sort of regular Pest control for insects and bugs, such as Orkin, etc.
On the lease it states as follows: "Lessee is expected to maintain and care for the property, which includes, but is not limited to the following: Pest control including but not limited to mice, ants, small rodents, etc."
When I asked for clarification from my PM they said this clause only protects against something the tenant can control, which makes no sense to me since many pests aren’t preventable, they just happen. Should I press this with them? Clearly, my tenant could have spent $5 or less on a spray or trap - I wouldn’t even mind reimbursing that purchase, but I didn’t cause the wasps any more than the tenant did. Curious if I’m in the wrong here or not.
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 16 votes
8y
Thanks all for the advice - I was more interested in where this lands from a responsibility standpoint and from what I'm reading this feels more landlord than the tenant if the tenant feels the need to call it in.
Thank you for the comments on self-managing, it would be nice if I was local and could simply drive out and do that, but alas I am half a country away and the PM reduces my headaches. I could've probably found a contractor to do it for slightly less, but as I said that wasn't my main concern here.
Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
8y
Just an FYI if it is a nest in the ground you can go buy Permethrin powder at a farm supply, horse supply store or Tractor supply store for $5-$8 a bottle and just dust the ground. It gets on their wings and ends up killing the nests. I had wood bees actually start boring in the dry ground underneath the deck and it took care of them in 48hrs. I have taken care of yellow jackets the same way, but wait till after dusk b/c they all go in for the night and you will not be stung. I keep 2 bottles at each property so my cleaners can take care of it quickly. I hope this helps someone.
Rental Property Investor · Westport, CT · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 183 votes
8y
I get 3 or 4 nests each year on our personal residence. I find each needs to be treated very differently.
-Nest connected to but outside house is easy, wait until an hour after dusk and spray, knock down, and destroy
-Nest inside the wall of house is very difficult! Do not spray or they will look for an alternate way out of the nest which likely is a way into your house. With these nests I tend to not take it out but control its size by using the "shopvac" method:
This method won't kill off the next entirely, but will greatly reduce numbers until more hatch, so you have to repeat it a few times throughout the summer. Only other choice is to bring in an expert for a $200 which adds up with the number of nests we get.