• Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Large fee from my PM on a wasp nest removal

Chad C.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jul 13 2018, 15:13

Greetings, I started to hijack another thread before I realized this is my own issue. My PM in Denver recently had a significant charge on my statement for a wasp nest removal ($200). Ok, The amount is high, but things like this are so it's not my main concern.  

The thing is wasps are quite common in Denver and when leasing the property I specifically elected not to pay for any sort of regular Pest control for insects and bugs, such as Orkin, etc. 

On the lease it states as follows: "Lessee is expected to maintain and care for the property, which includes, but is not limited to the following: Pest control including but not limited to mice, ants, small rodents, etc."

When I asked for clarification from my PM they said this clause only protects against something the tenant can control, which makes no sense to me since many pests aren’t preventable, they just happen.  Should I press this with them? Clearly, my tenant could have spent $5 or less on a spray or trap - I wouldn’t even mind reimbursing that purchase, but I didn’t cause the wasps any more than the tenant did. Curious if I’m in the wrong here or not. 

Loading replies...