Having a set of keys to your property - How important?

Having a set of keys to your property - How important?

Glendale, CA · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 18 votes

I just closed on a few single family homes out of state that are currently tenant occupied.  I was told by my real estate agent after closing that they previous owner did not have a copy of the keys to the house, as the tenant had always let them in.  I asked my property management company, and they did not seem to think this was an issue.

My question, am I crazy for finding it strange that neither my property manager or I have a set of keys to the house I own?  How important is this?  Is it worth re-keying the houses now...or just wait and do that when current tenants move out?  Any thoughts?

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

There is no good reason to not have a key to the property you own. What if there is a burst pipe and tenant is not home?

I would also fire a property manager that said they didn't need a key. They aren't looking out for your best interests/are extremely lazy.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    There is no good reason to not have a key to the property you own. What if there is a burst pipe and tenant is not home?

    I would also fire a property manager that said they didn't need a key. They aren't looking out for your best interests/are extremely lazy.

  • Allentown, PA · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 404 votes
    8y

    @Grant D.

    I don't know of any prudent landlord who would not have a key to their own property. It is YOUR property. You need access to it whenever you want. Biggest reason would be law enforcement purposes. The tenant is suspected of cooking meth in your property and the police have a warrant to search the property, who will be the first person they would contact to access the property? You, and it will be embarrassing if you have to tell them, "Oh, sorry guys, I don't have the keys to my own house." Re-key the place and have your set, simple. If the tenant don't like it, they can move out. Simple. 

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Adzadi:

    @Grant D.

    I don't know of any prudent landlord who would not have a key to their own property. It is YOUR property. You need access to it whenever you want. Biggest reason would be law enforcement purposes. The tenant is suspected of cooking meth in your property and the police have a warrant to search the property, who will be the first person they would contact to access the property? You, and it will be embarrassing if you have to tell them, "Oh, sorry guys, I don't have the keys to my own house." Re-key the place and have your set, simple. If the tenant don't like it, they can move out. Simple. 

     It'll be even more embarrassing when they mention the next step is to kick down the door.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    Insanity ... I’d go right over and change the locks immediately
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 930 votes
    8y

    You don't have to change the locks, just ask the tenant for copies of all keys. Change locks when they move out. BTW, don't go out and buy a tons of locks, just recycle 3 or 4 between properties.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    In your case I would change the locks immediately and ask the PM what they are smoking. I have never heard of not having access to the rental property. And I do as @Ray Harrell mentioned above and just recycle the deadbolts between several houses. I am in the process, as people move out, of changing all my locks to no keyed door locks, just deadbolts, in order to force the tenants to take their keys with them (or be stupid and leave the house door unlocked). Doors with deadbolts only can't be accidentally locked with the keys inside, and the keyed door knobs are simple to pick or kick in. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 930 votes
    8y

    Why would you change the locks? It's inconvenient for the tenants and an unnecessary expense. Just ask the tenants to provide you with a set of keys. Fire the PM.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    Hard to say who has the keys though in this particular situation . We don’t know the story but maybe The seller may have them held back for a reason
  • Glendale, CA · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Seller said they never had keys, as they inherited the tenants as well (they are long term tenants).  

  • Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2017 · 171 posts · 165 votes
    8y

    You should have a set of keys. That the PM thinks not having a key is ok is suspect imo. 

    I would probably rekey it. Yes, the tenants are the same but who knows how long it’s been since previous owner rekeyed and how many keys are floating around.  I always change locks after buying a property, I don’t want to wonder that the tenant from 5 years ago’s house cleaner’s 18 y/o meth addict son has a key. 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I’ll go against the trend here

    If they are long term tenents they probably will remain so.  If they don’t pay when you evict you change the locks and now have keys.  

    If you or they don’t renew the lease you change the locks and you have a key 

    Started renting 30 years ago, have never needed to use a key to gain access.   I don’t go on the house without the tenant there.   

    Have never had the police call with a warrant 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    New locks are like 50$ .. wouldn’t it be good to err on the side of caution out of concern that every crack head in town that has lived there in the last decade can’t just sneak In to place and rob the tenants .
  • Glendale, CA · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    @Michael Plante  I think that was the PM's point, cause my first question I asked was what would you do in an emergency (like a burst pipe) if the tenant wasn't there to let them in, and they said they would then go and place an access notice to advise the tenant maintenance is required so they will be rekeying to enter, they would rekey, and then would bill the tenant for the rekey.  It makes sense to me, and I have never had to use a key at any of my income properties before as well....but at the same time, might be worth simply asking the tenants to make a copy of the keys.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Ask them for keys and have the PM keep a set for an unlikely emergency when they are not home. If they won't provide re-key.

     @Brian Adzadi

    Contrary to what you would think the cops are not calling you with a warrant.  They are showing up and kicking in the door if no one will let them in.   At least here.  Surprise the occupant so they can't hide the contraband.   Oh and after they search the place they don't notify you either, you just own the house. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.