Raising rent on Month to month

4 Replies

On m2m lease how do you raise the rent? Send a email & letter obviously but do you have them sign it or is a 60 day notification sufficient? I know I only need to give 30 day notice but I like to give 60. Do you do the same for any changes in lease? Do you need formal language? I know I might be over analyzing things, just looking for opinions. There's plenty of them on here, but that's a good thing, right.

In Arizona, landlords must give tenants at least 30 days' notice (in writing) to increase rent or change another term of a month-to-month rental agreement. I would send an email and also a letter (certified mail) stating the upcoming change in rent to ensure the tenant cannot say "I was never informed of such a change". It doesn't have to be overly formal. Just a notice indicating that rent will be increasing by X amount going forward beginning on X day of X month.

Just send a letter notifying them of the change 60 days out. "Dear Tyler Tenant, As of September 1, 2018 your rent due each month on the first will be $500. This is an increase from your previous rent of $450. If you wish to vacate please be aware that your lease requires that you provide a 45 day notice."

What I have begun doing is sending out a letter 60+ days out from the expiration of the lease.  I will either offer a no rent increase or a minimal rent increase to resign a year lease.  If they choose not to, the flexibility of a month to month lease incurs additional fees.  Generally a minimum of $75-$100 additional per month.  Needless to say, I have a minimal amount of month to month leases.