Flooring in a rental

16 Replies

I'm rehabbing a unit and am toying with the idea of ceramic tile (with hard wood look) flooring in the main living area. My property is in upstate NY and hardwood or floating floors are much more popular here. I defiantly don't want to do carpet and want something nearly indestructible. Please share you experiences and thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Ceramic tile of any kind is the most popular here in Arizona and seems to last forever. In the cheaper units we use vinyl wood look planks and in more expensive units we use ceramic wood look planks. Either one lasts forever and looks great.

I use traffic master allure from home depot. Its very durable and is holding up pretty good after 8 years of tenant abuse. Its cheap and very easy and fast to install.

Originally posted by @Jimmy S. :

I use traffic master allure from home depot. Its very durable and is holding up pretty good after 8 years of tenant abuse. Its cheap and very easy and fast to install.

What do you use in the bathrooms and laundry rooms?

Originally posted by @Michael Plante :
Originally posted by @Jimmy S.:

What do you use in the bathrooms and laundry rooms?

same thing. I use it in the whole house. its waterproof also I believe.

@Cathie Kovacs

I always use underlayment when putting down LVP.  I'm sure it helps with the sound, but also cushions the flooring on top of the plywood that sits on top of your subfloor to help with any "unevenness" that may occur.  Typically very cheap and you can simply tape it down to the plywood.

Lowes Project Source wood laminate ($0.68 sq ft) laid on 30lbs felt paper. Used it 15 or so houses. Oldest is 10 years and floor still looks fine. Grout-able peal and stick tile in bathrooms. Certainly not appropriate for $200K plus houses but just fine for $150K and less SFH rentals.

Originally posted by @Drew Gedemer :

@Cathie Kovacs

I always use underlayment when putting down LVP.  I'm sure it helps with the sound, but also cushions the flooring on top of the plywood that sits on top of your subfloor to help with any "unevenness" that may occur.  Typically very cheap and you can simply tape it down to the plywood.

Thanks Drew. Any particular underlayments you’d recommend?

I typically just buy the cheap stuff at home depot, it's red (I think it's called like airguard.  Especially anything main floor where you don't necessarily need a water vapor protected like you would put in a basement.  Easy to use, you can just lay it and cut it with a utility knife, and tape it down so it stays in place.