Who should pay for repairs?

3 Replies

We have a tenant moving out and when I went to show the property to a prospective new client I noticed that their was water damage to the ceiling of our LR and several tiles in the kitchen had popped out. Both had been damaged for a while. Is there any recourse to get the tenants to pay for the repairs for either since they did not report them in a timely manner? As of now they refuse to accept responsibility for the issues. I want to be fair but I also do not want to pau for repairs due to their negligence. Please help!

If it isn't normal wear and tear, then you can make the repairs out of the security deposit. However, if there was a plumbing issue and it was reported, that's probably going to be on you. Tiles popping out is probably poor workmanship. There are old buildings that have had tiles in place for 50+ years without popping out. Reglue and regroute the tiles and call it a day. As for the water damage, find out what caused it, fix it, and dry/repaint the ceiling.

If these are the only issues you found, you should consider yourself super, super lucky!!!

Originally posted by @Hark Tukay :
We have a tenant moving out and when I went to show the property to a prospective new client I noticed that their was water damage to the ceiling of our LR and several tiles in the kitchen had popped out. Both had been damaged for a while. Is there any recourse to get the tenants to pay for the repairs for either since they did not report them in a timely manner? As of now they refuse to accept responsibility for the issues. I want to be fair but I also do not want to pau for repairs due to their negligence. Please help!

Tough situation. You can ask to pay, see what they say. If they say no from there it's all about how hard you want to fight. You can always take the hard line approach but sometimes it leads to an unnecessary turnover which will lower your ROI.

So I guess the real question is how hard do you want to fight on this and are you willing to evict the tenant over it?