Engineered Vinyl Plank vs LVP

5 Replies

Long time lurker first time poster...

I've started noticing more and more varieties of a flooring product as of late called Engineered Vinyl Plank.  It seems to differ from your standard Luxury Vinyl Plank in that it has a thick core attached to the vinyl plank that gives it a more solid feel similar to laminate. 

It's sold at lumber liquidators under the corelux brand and floor & decor under the nucore brand.  I've also seen it at Home Depot and Lowe's but not in many varieties.

Product seems like the best of both worlds and at a comparable price point to standard LVP.  I am wondering "what's the catch?"

Has anyone had experience with one of these EVP products? How do you like it? 

I absolutely love EVP. And here is why.

1. LVP is 100% vinyl which means that is much more susceptible to warping, especially with excessive sun or heat. EVP on the other hand has a PVC core which makes it more durable.

2. EVP typical come in a thicker plank (like 8 or 9mm) which makes it easier to install and gives it a more solid feel.

3. Despite the two benefits mentioned above, EVP and LVP happen to be the same price. So it's a no brainer.

*This advice is anecdotal, but I personally would stay away from Home Depot, Lowes, and other box stores vinyl planking. In my experience it is cheaper and harder to install properly. I have used Lumber Liquidators for multiple projects and very much prefer them.

I have seen it call rigid-core vinyl plank too. I have not used the product. It looks like it would be very durable and probably cover up sub-floor imperfections but one of the things I love about the regular (cheaper) click-lock vinyl plank is that because it is flexible, it is super easy to install. I had some of the home depot traffic master ultra click lock installed in a retail store for two years then took it up and re-installed it in a rental. Stuff still looks great.

Originally posted by @Nathan DeJonge :

I absolutely love EVP. And here is why.

1. LVP is 100% vinyl which means that is much more susceptible to warping, especially with excessive sun or heat. EVP on the other hand has a PVC core which makes it more durable.

2. EVP typical come in a thicker plank (like 8 or 9mm) which makes it easier to install and gives it a more solid feel.

3. Despite the two benefits mentioned above, EVP and LVP happen to be the same price. So it's a no brainer.

*This advice is anecdotal, but I personally would stay away from Home Depot, Lowes, and other box stores vinyl planking. In my experience it is cheaper and harder to install properly. I have used Lumber Liquidators for multiple projects and very much prefer them.

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to give EVP a whirl in my next project.  The Lumber Liquidators EVP product does seem like somewhat of a bargain relative to Allure Ultra, which seems to be the favorite on these forums. 

The Mrs. and I are looking to get a primary residence and I have been considering these floor types. There's a wealth of articles that describe their poisonous gas emitting drawbacks. Do you guys know anything about that? I wouldn't want to expose my toddler or dog to that.