Renting Individual Rooms

11 Replies

@Sheranda Martin I’ve done this for several years, with a few different people. Some good, some bad. Overall I think it’s a great way to optimize income. Just make sure you set specific ground rules. Have them sign this in addition to the lease.

Are you looking to rent out an entire house on a per room basis, or looking into renting out rooms in your personal home? 

I rented out rooms to roommates through college, but I haven't done a per-room rental since then. What I did with the house hack, is that they paid a flat rate and I paid all bills and had the main areas of the house furnished. If I were to do it again, I would probably up their rent a little and have someone come in to do lawn-care and cleaning of the shared areas. I lucked out and had exceptionally clean people renting out the rooms, but I can definitely see where it could be a major issue if you had some messy per-room tenants. 

Hi! I private messaged you , hope that’s okay. I need a little more advice. Thank you 

Originally posted by @Melissa Mendoza :
@Sheranda Martin I’ve done this for several years, with a few different people. Some good, some bad. Overall I think it’s a great way to optimize income. Just make sure you set specific ground rules. Have them sign this in addition to the lease.

Let me now if you actually go through with it and how it goes. I posted an ad for one of my properties as room rent since I'm doing a turn over anyway to see what kind of people respond. 

Originally posted by @Mia G. :

@Troy Bailey Did you end up renting out a room? I'm considering doing this in my next property but I don't know much about it.

No I have not as yet. I have not purchased the right property and it would need to be in a busy metro area. I tested the waters with a few ads and did it get any takers so I did not pursue it. I do have a friend that does it in the suburbs of Detroit close to a local hospital and has had very good success with traveling students, medical staff and now they are hosting allot of people displaced by insurance claims(fire, flood ect)