Renovating with tenants next door

4 Replies

Who has experience renovating while a tenant is living next door?

I work a full time job, so my only hours during the week I can renovate are after 530 pm on week nights. But this only leaves me a couple hours to rush around and get a few things done. I try to be mindful of the tenants next door because I don't want to disturb them too much. Weekends are when I can get most of my work done.

Unfortunately im racing against time and would like to have the place rented out by Oct 1st. I do most of the work myself. Am I being too mindful?

What kind of renovations are you doing? We've renovated multiple times working full time with other tenants in the building. We save the loud stuff for during the day on the weekend or before, say, 8:00 PM on a weeknight. I would certainly let your tenants know what you're up to and what they can expect, your estimated completion date, etc. It would also be helpful to ask their schedule if they have small children. Not a requirement, but nice. You don't owe the tenant an explanation, but I'm sure they would appreciate it!

@Alyssa Paros Most of the demolition is done. But im going to be installing trim, cutting tile, etc. So It will be loud at times. 

Ive informed them I would be renovating the apartment extensively. But my schedule can change often, so it may be more annoying for me to stay in constant contact with them. I try to shut it down just after 730pm, but if I had the option to work until midnight I would.

Originally posted by @Brian Ellis :

@Alyssa Paros Most of the demolition is done. But im going to be installing trim, cutting tile, etc. So It will be loud at times. 

Ive informed them I would be renovating the apartment extensively. But my schedule can change often, so it may be more annoying for me to stay in constant contact with them. I try to shut it down just after 730pm, but if I had the option to work until midnight I would.

We definitely had multiple midnight working sessions. Try prioritizing your work to be louder earlier or on the weekends and quieter in the evenings. For instance, cut tile earlier in the evening and separate into several evenings or do the whole floor on a weekend day. Save painting, fixture installation for later in the evening. Even plumbing for the evening.

I wouldn't necessarily check in with your tenants constantly about the renovations, just a conversation explaining that there could be loud noises, that you'll try to respect the clock, and you expect to be done by such and such date.

A little communication can go a long way with tenants.

@Alyssa Paros thank you, yes communication is always the key.

I just remember renting an apartment, and the landlord having 3 guys come in during the middle of me cooking dinner and leaving a trail of dirt behind at 8pm. 

If a little noise is acceptable, I will try to plan accordingly and do the louder stuff early on, and during the weekends.