Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Ben Payano
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
$800 Negative Cash FLOW Per Month Should I Still Hold?

Ben Payano
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Posted Aug 28 2018, 12:14

Hello,

I'm in a tough situation and need your suggestions: I purchased a property (Loft) in Downtown San Diego 2016 and recently got transferred overseas for work--I'm scheduled to return to San Diego in 2020. Since purchased, the property has appreciated $110K not taking account of the post purchase remodel of the kitchen and bathrooms. Considering how much I pay in mortgage, HOA, insurance, tax, and how much it may rent it for, I'm looking at an $800 negative cash flow per month (while rented). The property is beautiful and in a very desirable location--a block away from Petco Park and a few from the Convention Center. With rising interest rates, I'm not sure I'd get the same deal in the future.

STRs is not an options due to recently passed laws.

Can I afford the negative cash flow? Yes, but its still $800 a month.

I'm a very optimistic guy and I sometimes tend to focus on the upside on things such as the continual uptrend in home value and rent prices. Want to get your honest opinion and wisdom on this. I've read previous posts but they're not as unique as my case. Here is a link in case your interested in taking a look: LOFT

Loading replies...