Pittsburgh Rental Issues

11 Replies

I have 2 houses for rent in Pittsburgh sitting on market for 3 months, still haven't got a solid tenant. One is in Beechview 2bd1ba for $800, the other is a 3bd1ba in Brighton Heights for $850. Any thoughts? Should I get a new PM? Thanks. 

Are you using a Realtor to find your tenants?

What are the incentives you are giving to the Realtor to find the tenants? Pay.

Have you thought of giving an incentive to the tenant to move in? 1/2 off 2nd months rent, etc

These are all things you need to look at.

Good Luck

Thanks Donna. Yes I am using a PM company to handle everything, but 3 months seem a bit too long. I will thinking about the tenant incentives!

Originally posted by @Donna Thurman :

Are you using a Realtor to find your tenants?

What are the incentives you are giving to the Realtor to find the tenants? Pay.

Have you thought of giving an incentive to the tenant to move in? 1/2 off 2nd months rent, etc

These are all things you need to look at.

Good Luck

You may want to ask your property manager to put a Rently Box on each house so that prospective tenants can look at the homes on their own without your property manager having to make a trip for each showing.  With a Rently, the prospective tenants give their credit card as security and in effect pre-screen themselves.  This way, the houses can be seen instantly by prospective tenants.

Hi Amy,

I have noticed it taking a little longer to place quality tenants as well but 3 months seems long.  I have properties in Bellevue and invest from a distance as well.  I'll PM you and give you some of my contacts in the area if you'd like.

Gwyeth

Originally posted by @Craig Lessler :

You may want to ask your property manager to put a Rently Box on each house so that prospective tenants can look at the homes on their own without your property manager having to make a trip for each showing.  With a Rently, the prospective tenants give their credit card as security and in effect pre-screen themselves.  This way, the houses can be seen instantly by prospective tenants.

I suspect a lot of mid west 800 dollar tenants don't have credit cards.. I can see that in some of these areas just inviting your property to get stripped.

Steep roads.... 

How often the realtor actually give you a run down of stats ? How many clicks, how many calling back? How often is open house and how many applications have handed out?  What can you or realtor do to get them signing up.

Around here there is no pay until property is rented using neighborhood realtors. They are more opt to rent for you as they want to be considered the listing agent when time to sell.

In Silicon Valley I have seen brand new apt (equivalent $900K as condo) offering 1 month free with 2 year sign up now. Rental is slower also in cities with serious shortage of housing.  Rents lower than average get rented out first.

Sam Shueh

Would need to know your current managers marketing plan and metrics behind them.  They should know how many inquiries, showings, feedback from showings, etc.  3 months is very long.  It's either over priced for the area when comparaing to other similiar rentals, not clean and/or functional (odd layout), or there are other aspects in the area or features of the home working against you.  These could be a run down house or two in close proximity to yours, too many steps leading to the front door of the home, limited parking, etc.  I haven't seen your houses so these are all just examples to consider.