• Keene, NH
Votes |
Tenant Complaining About Strength of Wi-Fi Network

Christopher Freeman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Keene, NH
Posted Sep 2 2018, 19:01

Hi all,

We have some college student tenants whom we inherited from the previous owner. Most of them are fine, but one of them is very needy. The legacy lease provides internet, which we have provided and which works in the common areas of her unit, and which also works in two remote bedrooms (albeit not at lightning speeds) via a Wi-Fi extender that we provided as a courtesy.

My business partner has tested the Wi-Fi in her bedroom three times, and has been able to connect and load webpages. He also watched the tenant connect and load webpages. My understanding is that she is not able to stream Netflix on her smart TV. She's complained to her father, who is a co-signer on her lease, and he has gone into helicopter parent mode harassing us to "fix" the problem. Based on the content of his messages, we have learned that the tenant is feeding him misleading information about her complaint (we believe that she is trying to avoid taking responsibility for the fact that her complaint does not pertain to her ability to do schoolwork as she has maintained, but rather to watch Netflix).

The lease states that landlord provides internet. It does not state that we provide Wi-Fi, or guarantee coverage in all areas of the apartment. We aren't trying to screw anyone on technicalities, but we've already provided a free extender, and offered to give the tenant a $50 credit towards purchasing her own extender if she feels that would help. I believe that we met the requirements of the lease when we made internet available within the unit, and exceeded it when we provided the extender and offered to help them buy additional equipment. 

I don't want to train the tenant to expect technical support on her devices from us, and I also don't want to spend the next three months test driving equipment and configuring tenant devices on the network. In my last email, I told the tenant's father the the technical support he is requesting is beyond our expertise, the scope of our business, and the requirements of the lease.

Based on this background, do you feel we are being reasonable? How would you have handled this situation, and is there anything we might do differently in the future to help manage tenant's expectations from the get go?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Loading replies...