Tenant who signed 1month lease.

25 Replies

Rented to a person that decided the apartment wasn't up to her standards. Solved the problem by offering her a month to month th lease. Been a problem tenant since she moved in. Can I send a 90 notice after the 30 days stating a rent increase of 100 dollars to her rent if she wants to continue living there month to month?

You need to study your state landlord tenant regulations to find out when a rent increase can be imposed and what the notice requirements are. You are required to know your state codes to operate your business.

Read you codes then come back and ask questions for clarification if necessary. Codes are state specific.

Why don't  you just terminate her lease, with the specified time frame of notice that was written in lease? If you don't want her there this seems fairly easy on a MTM lease. 

@Ashley Hodge I'm a property manager up in Cody. Give me a holler if you ever have a question about Wyoming leases. Another good resource is @Jerry W. in Thermopolis.

Since they are on a month-to-month lease, you can terminate or change the lease terms with 30 days notice. You don't have to coincide with the end of the month, either. In other words, you could give them notice on September 5th that their lease terms are changing effective October 5th. As long as they have at least 30 days written notice.

@Ashley Hodge , the terms of the lease work the same for both parties unless you specify otherwise.  Month to month means either can terminate with one months notice.  The same is true for raising rent.  You do need to be aware of any special laws that the town may have passed.  Very few towns have enacted Landlord laws in WY.  The notable major exception I am aware of is Laramie due the need because of some very unscrupulous landlords.  As to state law it is hard to imagine a more landlord friendly state than WY.  Evictions are often completed in less than 2 weeks.  I have had some take less than 1 week.

@Ashley Hodge . I would just send her a lease termination notice ASAP and then find a different tenant. In the future if you see a problem tenant in the beginning to solve the problem I would let the tenant know that since they are not happy you will allow them out of their lease instead of offering a month to month lease.
@Ashley Hodge . I would just send her a lease termination notice ASAP and then find a different tenant. In the future if you see a problem tenant in the beginning to solve the problem I would let the tenant know that since they are not happy you will allow them out of their lease instead of offering a month to month lease.

Great advice already, but I would stress that if she is problematic, don’t try to raise rent, just terminate the lease with the30 day notice. Paying more for rent will just make her expect more. As a future tip avoid renting to anyone who complains about the quality of the unit before signing a lease. It’s a big red flag that they will be problematic.

I know that this is trying to be too nice, but I try to be even when tenants are complicated. The lease was up Sept1. So I was trying to figure a way to 1. Get her to move somewhere else 2. Have her pay for a month to month lease or sign a longer one. I guess I'm not sure which is best at this point.
IF she is a problem already the one thing you dont want to do is have her sign a longer term that only locks you in, not her. You dont want a PIA calling you all the time.

No need to rent to someone who doesn't want to be in there, it's only going to cause headaches.

Take the time to find someone who actually wants to rent from you and be there.

How long has she been there? Even in tenant friendly California I believe if the person has NOT been at the property for at least 30 days you have a very good chance of being able to give them the boot for a myriad of reasons...........It's only ONCE they have been there for 30 plus days that things get crazy

Originally posted by @Ashley Hodge :
I know that this is trying to be too nice, but I try to be even when tenants are complicated. The lease was up Sept1. So I was trying to figure a way to 1. Get her to move somewhere else 2. Have her pay for a month to month lease or sign a longer one. I guess I'm not sure which is best at this point.

Ashley - please don't overthink this. It's a month to month lease, which means it is only valid for one month at a time. If she's a problem tenant, issue the 30 day notice and get her out of your life unless you want to go to the landlord school of hard knocks. If you're even considering letting her stay longer she must not be much of a problem...yet. 

Whatever you do, you do NOT want her to sign a longer lease. And by the way, if you wait to get her out you will be looking to place a tenant during the off-season where it's harder to find quality tenants at market rents. 

@Ashley Hodge , some of the posts above are well intentioned, but really don't apply in WY.  If the lease is month to month you need to give a months warning to raise rent or give notice to move.  Wyoming id very landlord friendly, a notice to quit only requires 72 hours notice and a forcible entry and detainer must he heard not sooner than 3 nor more than 12 days from service.  The 30 day living on premises has no significance in WY.