Move out time for tenants

7 Replies

Hi all! Wondering if you guys have ran into this situation before, and have any recommendations. I purchased a duplex recently, and inherited some tenants. They’ve been decent so far, and are moving out at the end of September. The lease that they signed with the previous owner does not specify a move out time, and they won’t commit to being out any sooner than midnight on the 30th. Since I have new tenants moving in the following day, I wanted to get a cleaning crew through there and take care of some really minor repairs. If there is no specific move out time specified in the lease, do they really have until midnight on the last day? Thanks in advanced for the info! This will be the last time I have to deal with it, since the other tenants are on my lease calling out they must be moved by noon the last day of the lease :)

@Mike Moe Since they have paid their rent through the 30th they have every right to stay right up until 11:59 p.m. if they so wish.  However, it sounds like they're just being awkward, though.  Just tell your new tenants that you'll need several hours on the 1st to clean the unit and get it ready for them.  Try to get a commitment from your cleaning crew that they'll be there by 8 a.m. on the 1st.  It doesn't really matter if you can't take care of the "minor" issues before they move in.  You can always do it over the proceeding couple of days.  I doubt they'll be too bothered.

@Mike Moe Yes -- and you should avoid the trap of getting it cleaned before they move out, even by a day. Just take it as a lesson for the future to give about a week between tenants. That allows for cleaning, minor repairs, repainting, etc.

Originally posted by @Mike Moe :
Hi all! Wondering if you guys have ran into this situation before, and have any recommendations. I purchased a duplex recently, and inherited some tenants. They’ve been decent so far, and are moving out at the end of September. The lease that they signed with the previous owner does not specify a move out time, and they won’t commit to being out any sooner than midnight on the 30th. Since I have new tenants moving in the following day, I wanted to get a cleaning crew through there and take care of some really minor repairs.

If there is no specific move out time specified in the lease, do they really have until midnight on the last day?

Thanks in advanced for the info! This will be the last time I have to deal with it, since the other tenants are on my lease calling out they must be moved by noon the last day of the lease :)

You should always have 2-3 days between move-outs and move-ins.  What happens if the cleaning crew has to reschedule? I don't even advertise the property until the original tenants have moved out.  If  I am fortunate enough to get it rented before the old party moves, I always allow a week for inspection and any minor touch ups. 

I would try to work out something with the old tenants and help them move out sooner, perhaps even pay them a little bit out of pocket to get out sooner. Its a very bad idea to start relationship with new tenants on a sour note, and letting them move into the place that is not clean is just that. 

Just reading this made me stress. 

First, those tenants have every right to have every minute of their last day to be out. So if they are gone by 11:59:59, well they paid up to that point. So give them the space and go back the next day. 

I never overlap tenancies this way. I don’t know what condition the rental will be once I get keys and I can’t just be in a rush to fix things just in case that minor fix turns into a bigger problem or my rush job turns into a slop. 

Originally posted by @Cat R. :

Just reading this made me stress. 

First, those tenants have every right to have every minute of their last day to be out. So if they are gone by 11:59:59, well they paid up to that point. So give them the space and go back the next day. 

I never overlap tenancies this way. I don’t know what condition the rental will be once I get keys and I can’t just be in a rush to fix things just in case that minor fix turns into a bigger problem or my rush job turns into a slop. 

Seems like a combination of rookie landlords and short term gains over long term thinking... Very bad combination.

Do you live close? Sounds like you should gather up your spouse/friends/relatives and have a little midnight cleaning party!! No, seriously. The dates are set for move out and move in. Time to work all night and make sure the place is ready for your next tenants. 

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Like I said, my new lease that I use states a specific move out time, so hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with it. 

What I've found is most tenants need to move in on the 1st, as they are moving from an apartment or other rental which they put their notice to be out at the end of the month. I'm not going to plan in a month of vacancy every time i turn over tenants, so I'll deal with the slightly hectic 24 hours :)