How should I add addendums to a lease?

2 Replies

Dumb question. But I have a PDF lease from a local property management company in Chicago. And I'd like to add some stipulations to the lease. Such as no smoking, how rent should be paid (Cozy.co), etc. What's the best way to do this? Should I just draw up a separate document that states these things and have them sign it?

That PDF should be either a) revise-able or b) converted to a word doc so it is.

If the your client has already signed then yes it's an addendum to the lease and both you and them sign it. If they haven't signed it then add it to your lease in the appropriate spot. This keeps all the items in order and flowing nicely when you sit down with them and explain the lease. If you are in a time squeeze then the addendum will work, just get your lease to be revise-able so that moving forward you can insert and remove items at will.

Originally posted by @Neil Schoepp :

That PDF should be either a) revise-able or b) converted to a word doc so it is.

If the your client has already signed then yes it's an addendum to the lease and both you and them sign it. If they haven't signed it then add it to your lease in the appropriate spot. This keeps all the items in order and flowing nicely when you sit down with them and explain the lease. If you are in a time squeeze then the addendum will work, just get your lease to be revise-able so that moving forward you can insert and remove items at will.

The tenant hasn't signed the lease yet. Trying to get it together for them now and wanna add the things I'd like in there before I have her sign. Thanks!