I saved my tenant's life today

I saved my tenant's life today

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes

Went over to a rental property today to work on a leaking basement window. One of my tenants was at home recovering from surgery on his arm. While I was there, a vein in his arm ruptured and he started bleeding heavily all over his couch. I got him to a chair, called 9-1-1, and put heavy pressure on his arm with a wrapped towel until the EMTs showed up. They strapped on a tourniquet before hauling him off to the hospital.

I'm sitting there in the kitchen surrounded by blood and vomit (my tenant vomited and passed out for a bit there), and he starts thanking me as we hear the EMTs roll up, "Thank you...thank you...I owe you one...I owe you one, Jim."

"Absolutely, you owe me $650 every month."

"I ain't got it, Jim..."

"That's OK, it isn't the first of the month yet."

The next time some non-landlord posts in this forum about how bad low-income -housing fixer slumlords should feel for taking advantage of our C/D-class tenants, I'm going to try not to jump down their throat, but no promises.  If you're thinking about posting something like that and you've never walked in our shoes, yes, things like this are part of the life. Twenty minutes of holding a man's arm together, hoping the EMTs make it in time before he slips away, praying as hard as you can for all the strength that God can give you in this hour of need. And then afterwards the shakes, and the insomnia at 3:00 in the morning. My $650 a month is not thirty pieces of silver.

72Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
8y
Proverbs 9:17 Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done. Good job brother
See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Kudos to you.   You are a good samaritan. Your family should be proud of you.

    All the best,

    Sam Shueh

    PS: I learned from a homeless the line between living out of door and inside is just a wall.  This Santa Monica (CA) homeless was an actress staring at a CD with her on the front cover told me she was the star when she had work. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    Thank you, Sam.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    Proverbs 9:17 Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done. Good job brother
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    There's a big difference between caring for a person and holding a person to their responsibilities. Well done.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @Jim K. Way to go Jim! For some unknown reason you were tested today, you saved a fellow human's life, and showed what you are made of under pressure. Kudos. All the best!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    Thank you all. I was just terrified for most of it. Then I came home and couldn't get to sleep and tried to write it out of my system. I have been a part of too many crazy situations in my life. I think it really does just happen to some people -- the dice keep coming up snake eyes. It's made me a fountain of surreal stories, but as this one unfolded, all I could do was recognize that I had been pulled into Crazyland again and just try to keep it together.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Wow. We DIY LLs do see a lot.  Kudos to you for being there and doing the right thing.  Not many of us in the trenches get to save a life!

    The demise of this tenant would have been certain if you were an armchair LL working 'on' your business. Would have taken a week to get someone out there to charge you thousands, not to mention down time and hassles of dealing with next of kin, probate, etc. Would have been a different outcome indeed...

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    It’s crazy to think that something as insignificant and mundane as a simple window repair allowed for the conditions to save a person from crossing over into the next world . I’ve had many weird circumstances in my 40 years like this where time and space have been precisely timed up to permit a “ window” ( pun intended) of opportunity for an almost supernatural occurrence to take place .looking back  I’ve escaped death on several occasions myself this way .

  • Investor · La Jolla, CA · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 169 votes
    8y

    Thinly-veiled virtue-signalling post. Sad.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    @Jim K. Don’t forget to wash your hands.
  • Rental Property Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Wow incredible story!!!!!!!

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    8y

    Tough situation to deal with, but you did what you had to, the right thing.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Danny Grey:

    Thinly-veiled virtue-signalling post. Sad.

    Clearly, I need to to 10X my veiling thickness. I'll work on that. Maybe I'll do better next time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Danny Grey:

    Thinly-veiled virtue-signalling post. Sad.

    Clearly, I need to to 10X my veiling thickness. I'll work on that. Maybe I'll do better next time.

    Next time it shouldn't be thinly-veiled. Try a heavier veil - a burka perhaps? ;) 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Max T.:
    @Jim K. Don’t forget to wash your hands.

     That's actually a weird part of the story. I was working with silicone caulk, so I had a box of nitrile gloves in my toolbag. The younger EMT told me it was the first time he'd ever come in on a call to find help on the scene already in blue gloves.

    The older EMT actually stole my roll of paper towels out of my bag to clean up blood with.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Omar Khan

    Why not? We have the modesty police here, after all.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    Good work Jim right place right time.. !!!  cant say this has ever happened to me..  for me it was too late by the time I arrived.. :(

  • Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
    8y
    @Jim K. Good job! He’s lucky you were there to help him out. I’m going to assume you will NEVER have any issues with him. I hope he makes a full recovery.
  • Investor · Soldotna, AK · Member since 2015 · 103 posts · 64 votes
    8y

    You should get tested for any blood related diseases that could have transferred to you, there are more than you think

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jim C.:

    You should get tested for any blood related diseases that could have transferred to you, there are more than you think

     Now THAT would fit right into the story of my life!

  • Midland, TX · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 75 votes
    8y
    Well done! Glad you were there! I agree with another poster. Get tested for any diseases.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · College Station, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
    8y

    @Jim K.. Great Job!

    If the 5th of October comes and tenant hasn't paid their $650 - will you evict them? (:>)

  • Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 351 posts · 273 votes
    8y

    Are you charging for the blood and vomit stains? :)

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Jim Cummings

    They'll go through the same steps of the policy-based process that any other tenant would.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matt Shields:

    Are you charging for the blood and vomit stains? :)

    Charging them out of what? They've never paid me a security deposit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.