$32 for 5 gallons -Have you used Lowes white maintenance paint?

22 Replies

I'm thinking of using this paint. It's called Property Advantage Flat Maintenance 5g I/E White Latex Paint.  It's less than $40 for 5 gallons.

It's a flat / latex. The interior is white. I'm repainting it the same color. 

The lowes reviews say it's "good for rentals" .

Have you used it?

I only use Sherwin Williams( now)...I was using Behr and sorry but it sucks. SW has much better coverage and is self leveling and I opened a biz account and get 40% off the paint at the SW store.
@Rema W. You can even take it one step further... Home depot has maintenance paint here in Florida for like $28 a 5 gallon but it is flat white so I buy one quart of high gloss white for like $7, dump it in and mix it all together and when I paint it looks like semigloss and performs well...and I am all in for $35 for 5 gallons.

I love that particular paint - for ceilings. It's a good, flat white but I wouldn't use it for walls. Walls and trim get Sherwin Williams satin and semi gloss in my houses.

@Rema W. Personally, I think Lowe’s and Home Depot brands are good for ceiling paints and primers. I use Benjamin Moore for everything else, it’s more expensive but makes a world of a diff. And covers imperfections better.

The only paint worse than Behr (their paint/primer combo isn’t as bad as their regular paint) is Glidden IMO. They’re like water when you brush them on. I vote for Sherwin Williams as well, even if it’s the Lowe’s version. 

@Rema W. I am a property owner/investor, and contractor. I am strictly a Sherwin Williams user. Best bang for your buck is Sherwin Williams Property Solutions line. The flat is great for ceilings, eg-shell for walls, and I use a better SuperPaint for trim/doors. The flat should run you about $75/5 gals. Cheap paint brings more labor.
Does anyone find that oil based white paints hold up better? I’ve always used Sherwin Williams latex whites but man they get dirty easy. Was curious if oil based resisted dirt better?

Looks like it would be good to whitebox a vacant REO to protect from rain, and so it does not look so crappy. i have seen lathe whiteboxed where plaster was missing. cheap short term fix.

I don't like cheap paint on my rentals, but I do keep an eye out at Lowes for their "oops" paint - 5 gallons for $25.  If it's a light pastel, it's great to keep for rentals when needed and I just take the paint back to shake it when I am ready to use it.  Single $5 gallons of "oops" are great for accent walls or small bathrooms.  I used to use Behr, but Home Depot changed their paint discount policy a couple of years ago so now I mainly go to Lowes.

Originally posted by @Mark Fries :
@Rema W. You can even take it one step further... Home depot has maintenance paint here in Florida for like $28 a 5 gallon but it is flat white so I buy one quart of high gloss white for like $7, dump it in and mix it all together and when I paint it looks like semigloss and performs well...and I am all in for $35 for 5 gallons.

That sounds like something I gotta try. Thanks for the tip!