• Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
Help me pick a tenant

Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Posted Oct 14 2018, 22:43

I have 8 units 1 mile out from the university student center and on the edge of what might be described as "the hood." These units rent for 450 + gas & electric and pet fees.

The former landlord mostly rented to students. and would just leave units vacant until he could get one. Now it's kind of "my first place" apartments with students just out of dorms or young people with first jobs except for one unit with an old single lady.

I have two applications for the vacant unit

A grandma and her husband of many years that works at the grocery store next door for 15 years and also with hers and partner's social security make about 3x rent. She's lived at her current place 4 years and previous 5 years. Her 30ish daughter who is also a longtime employee of grocery filled out online app for her. She has no car so she really likes the location right next to work. She told me she had an eviction but I checked and no evictions have been filed in the county court on her or her partner. I'm calling the landlord tomorrow but it's a small local property management company and the "eviction" was five years ago so I don't know if they will even remember her.

and

a my first place recent 2-year graduate working two jobs that makes 2.5x rent. Very nice young lady. location is right in between both her jobs. Currently living at home.

I liked them both. Neither have pets or criminal records.

Grandma saw the apartment first and got in application about an hour ahead of my first place girl.

Would you care more about the reported eviction that wasn't or the lack of rental history? or something else? Who would bigger pockets pick? or what additional info would you ask for? I'll check refs next week.

Loading replies...