I recently had a mold investigator take air samples from some bedrooms a tenant was complaining about. The results showed that there was an elevated presence of allergenic molds. No black molds. The levels that were reported were not extremely high. In fact, you probably see a higher count outside during allergy season. The mold investigator is now recommending that we air test every single room in the house including the HVAC. From all the research I've been doing, the CDC, EPA, and others do not recommend air testing. Is it normal to take an air sample from every room?
The mold investigator is also recommending professional remediation of all the bedrooms. This mean ripping out carpet, baseboards, and possible wall removal. Cleaning all contents at professional remediator's facilities. I assume that if the other tests come out positive, the same approach would apply which would mean the entire house would be remediated.
This seems very excessive to me as the only visible mold is on the windows (glass, sills, frames) of the house. The tenant is playing the sick card. First , they reported a friend that stayed with them got sick. Now, they claim that their family was sick.
The mold investigator does make most of his money from taking air samples. He charges $100 a sample in addition to $200 for travel time. The report he provided was not useful as he did not identify the source of the problem. For his work, we are now out about $1100. Since I was suspicious of his recommendations, I decided to call another mold investigator my contractor recommended. They told me that one air sample is good for 500 square feet. I also forwarded them the result of the air tests, and they also agreed that the recommendations were excessive for the level of spore counts on the reports.
So, for those of you who have had to deal with mold problems, am I getting scammed? I feel like this is a big set up from the mold investigator as he knows we have a potential liability with the tenants, and I feel like he is holding us hostage with his recommendations. Of course, he has a list of contractors he would like us to work with.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y
Yeh, I would take a hard pass. The cost of $300 sounds pretty normal but I can't see how he justifies tearing your home apart without identifying a dangerous mold or the source of that mold. As you said, mold is in the air in nature so any testing company should be able to determine whether your mold is of a dangerous kind, an elevated level, and what may be causing it.
Tenants play the mold card all the time to get out of a lease or manipulate you into a rent reduction to cover their extensive medical bills. If they believe the house is making them sick, why don't they move? I would tell them it's uninhabitable until you figure out the problem and get rid of them. Then clean the place, verify it doesn't have any issues, and get another tenant.
Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
I'm from the Pacific Northwest. I'm no expert, but as I understand it, mold spores are everywhere. They are part of the natural environment. Especially where we live.
"Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems." -EPA - A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home
Get the booklet from EPA that I just referenced. It has great information on Mold Basics, Mold Cleanup, Moisture and Mold Prevention, etc. There is much that you and the tenant to do to prevent a mold problem and clean up the areas where mold has taken hold. We give tenants a copy of the EPA booklet when they move in and inspect premises periodically.
It's almost certain that you linked up with an unethical contractor who is playing into the tenant's fears and yours as well. Why, yes that is excessive! The contractor has a vested interest in making this a problem for you and charging you for the remedy. Don't fall for it.
About air samples... never had to go that route. I don't need an air sample to show me I have mold spores in the air, I already know that. I would only get an air sample if presented with information from a qualified health care professional that someone in the home has a condition that most likely was caused from mold in the home or air contaminants.
About tenants claiming a mold problem... yes, from time to time, but never got to the point of them claiming a health issue. Mostly they see or smell mold and tell me about. I examine the area as soon as possible. I don't say anything that would alarm the tenant or increase their fears. I do take immediate action to calm them and mitigate damages.
In any case, it's imperative to find the root cause. For us, one time it was from damp gym clothes the tenant left in a pile in their closet. Sometimes it's from cooking without using the exhaust fan. Sometimes it's from excessive moisture buildup in the bathroom. One time it was caused by a water pipe leak in a wall cavity that went undetected. One time it was from water leaking from the roof. Under the kitchen sink, sometimes water drips down from the sprayer hose hole and if left unnoticed can lead to mold taking hold. Moisture build up on windows, frames, and sills will lead to mold if these areas are not kept clean and dry.
Mold on windows, frames and sills is fairly common. This is usually caused by condensation. To prevent this, keep the humidity levels low. Invest in a moisture and humidity meter to check this. Should be between 30 and 50 percent. Root causes for high humidity: too much moisture getting into the air, not enough ventilation, not enough air movement, low air temperature. Must act quickly every time you see moisture on the windows. Clean up the problem area and teach the tenant how to prevent moisture and mold buildup.
This is what I would do.
1. Clean up any visible mold.
Wear a disposable N-95 respirator mask. I like the ones with the valve. 3M has a good product sold 10 to a box. Keep handy for various property upkeep needs. Other PPE (personal protection equipment) would include gloves and safety goggles. When you use PPE the tenant will either be reassured you are properly taking care of the problem or figure it's much more serious than it is. :-)
Wipe down the windows, frames, sills with disposable paper blue shop towels. The blue shop towels are highly absorbent, don't tear easily, and will readily show you where the moisture is because the light blue color of the towel will turn dark blue as soon as water gets on it. When I'm inspecting a unit, I will run a blue shop towel around all drain pipes and fittings because if there is even a tiny droplet of water it will catch it and appear on the towel.
Clean surfaces with a white vinegar/water mixture. It helps neutralize odors and can kill some mold spores. Some jobs require a mild detergent or chlorine bleach. Disposable old toothbrushes help in getting into the window tracks.
2. Take steps to reduce humidity in the home.
Check humidity levels with a moisture/humidity meter. Keep humidity between 30-50%. This is especially important to keep an eye on during the winter when outside and inside temperatures differ and people are less inclined to open windows.
Increase air movement.
Increase air temperature.
Increase ventilation. (Vent appliances that produce moisture to the outside. This includes dryers and stoves. Use exhaust fans or open the windows in the kitchen and bathroom when cooking and showering and for awhile afterward.)
Use air conditioners and de-humidifiers when needed.
Unfortunately, @Bruce Chang, whether there is or isn't a mold hazard in the home, the tenant may perceive there is. Whether real or perceived, you need to address the issue. By bringing in mold inspectors so quickly, it will be hard to convince the tenant that things are not as bad as it seems to them.
Your best protection is regular upkeep and maintenance of the home, plus proper insurance. We have a good umbrella policy in addition to other insurance. You never know what life will zing at you.