Can tenants buy new dishwasher?

9 Replies

I want to rent an apartment or a duplex, but most places around here have ancient appliances from 20 years ago. The only appliance I really care about is the dishwasher. I cook from scratch and I am used to having a stainless steel bosch while living with family. But it's time to get my own place, but all the apartments around have ancient dishwashers. I don't think I'll ever get used to pre-soaking and pre-rinsing dishes. 

So, can I just buy a new dishwasher and put it into an apartment I plan to rent? 

Granted, I'm in Wisconsin, but as a landlord I wouldn't care. We personally manage our properties so we would provide the removal ourselves if we planned on keeping the dishwasher and require that the tenant gets the new dishwasher professionally installed and remind them that any damages from installation could possibly come out of their security deposit.

From my perspective, the only thing I would be concerned about is the new dishwasher being hooked up correctly to prevent water damage to the floor. From a tenant perspective, make sure you have it in writing stating that you own the dishwasher in the unit and maybe ask for a maintenance form that shows the landlord is removing the dishwasher, if they do remove it themselves. If not, they may just ask you to put it in the garage or basement.

I think some landlords would be fine with this.  Probably not the huge apartment complexes tho. 

I had a tenant ask to bring their own W/D and I would of been fine with that, but I had nowhere to store the one in the unit.  

So, i would just ask :)

You could also buy a portable dishwasher that attaches to the sink faucet.
Originally posted by @Mary Mitchell :

I think some landlords would be fine with this.  Probably not the huge apartment complexes tho. 

I had a tenant ask to bring their own W/D and I would of been fine with that, but I had nowhere to store the one in the unit.  

So, i would just ask :)

What about property management companies? Most rentals in the area are managed by various property management companies. 

Originally posted by @Victor N. :
You could also buy a portable dishwasher that attaches to the sink faucet.

But then I wouldn't be able to use the sink while it's running. I also want to install a water filter. 

As Mary said, I would simply ask the property management companies if they would be okay with it! It never hurts to ask, and if they say no, move on to the next place. I feel like a property management company may be more hesitant, as they may not have a place to store the old appliance. Good luck!

I highly doubt they are going to want to do that or risk the liability . Maybe it will work out for some desperate landlord . Geez Is it really that big of a deal to use an older dishwasher ? I know personally If I had a tenant ask me a request like that I’d think they were some kind of uppity high maintenance snob and would screen them out so be careful who you ask that to .
Originally posted by @Dennis M. :
I highly doubt they are going to want to do that or risk the liability . Maybe it will work out for some desperate landlord . Geez Is it really that big of a deal to use an older dishwasher ? I know personally If I had a tenant ask me a request like that I’d think they were some kind of uppity high maintenance snob and would screen them out so be careful who you ask that to .

I most likely have (undiagnosed) depression and anxiety. When I was childless and lived in an apartment with no dishwasher, I left dishes in the sink so long that maggots appeared. This happened on two occasions. It would take me 1.5 hours to do the dishes by hand every day, and my back would be killing me afterwards. This was when I cooked for just two people. Then, I moved into a family member's house, and they have a new $800 bosch. I have been doing dishes every single day ever since, it only takes me 15 minutes each day, and they come out clean. I now have two kids and I literally don't have an extra 1.5 hours a day to do dishes. It's a make it or break it kind of deal to me. I don't care if the stove or fridge are 100 years old. The most important thing for me is the dishwasher.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here