Ray Lim
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
How do deal with ridiculous noise complaints from neighbors

Ray Lim
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Jun 28 2011, 04:36

I live in a condo that I am regretting.

One of my neighbor bedroom window faces west, while my door faces north, and is about 25 to 30 ft away, but in front, from my door.

The situation I am having is the neighbor constantly complains about "noise" after quiet hours. The source of the noise is simply opening/closing the door and footsteps. The latest incidence was me taking out the trash at 12 am. The reason I feel she has a problem with noise is that She keeps her bedroom window open!

I was not very receptive to her complaint (I closed the door on her while she was yelling at me from her bedroom window). So I am expecting a noise complaint from her.

I emailed the property manager about the situation and he responded "what time where you taking out the trash" as if he was suggesting well you shouldn't be taking out the trash at 12 am thus her noise complaint would be valid... Taking out the trash does not make any more noise than leaving and coming back from the supermarket, checking my mail, or anything that requires leaving home for a period of time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I honestly believe if she has a problem with noise she should first close her bedroom window! I was hoping the manager response was, "I agree she is being unreasonable. If she files a noise complaint, I will tell her the noise is reasonable and she should close her window."

If, for some ridiculous reason, I do receive a fine from the HOA for excessive noise I do not want to pay it. Will I be able to challenge it in court?

The people that live around me are ridiculous so I would not be surprised. I have another neighbor complain about having the bathroom fan on and used to punch the wall when there is noise in my bedroom... i.e. talking and opening/closing drawers near the wall.

What can I do to protect myself and prepare myself for a situation where I do have to defend myself against a fine?

Loading replies...