How do deal with ridiculous noise complaints from neighbors

How do deal with ridiculous noise complaints from neighbors

Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 18 posts · 0 votes

I live in a condo that I am regretting.

One of my neighbor bedroom window faces west, while my door faces north, and is about 25 to 30 ft away, but in front, from my door.

The situation I am having is the neighbor constantly complains about "noise" after quiet hours. The source of the noise is simply opening/closing the door and footsteps. The latest incidence was me taking out the trash at 12 am. The reason I feel she has a problem with noise is that She keeps her bedroom window open!

I was not very receptive to her complaint (I closed the door on her while she was yelling at me from her bedroom window). So I am expecting a noise complaint from her.

I emailed the property manager about the situation and he responded "what time where you taking out the trash" as if he was suggesting well you shouldn't be taking out the trash at 12 am thus her noise complaint would be valid... Taking out the trash does not make any more noise than leaving and coming back from the supermarket, checking my mail, or anything that requires leaving home for a period of time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I honestly believe if she has a problem with noise she should first close her bedroom window! I was hoping the manager response was, "I agree she is being unreasonable. If she files a noise complaint, I will tell her the noise is reasonable and she should close her window."

If, for some ridiculous reason, I do receive a fine from the HOA for excessive noise I do not want to pay it. Will I be able to challenge it in court?

The people that live around me are ridiculous so I would not be surprised. I have another neighbor complain about having the bathroom fan on and used to punch the wall when there is noise in my bedroom... i.e. talking and opening/closing drawers near the wall.

What can I do to protect myself and prepare myself for a situation where I do have to defend myself against a fine?

0
Topic locked
60 views

Most Popular Reply

SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y
Originally posted by Ray Lim:
What do you suggest when I come home late? From work? From bar? From clubbing?...

Also the walls are thin. Apparently we both have our beds next to wall.

Try finding a girl at a bar or club who's a real screamer and bring her home for an "extended" session. Perhaps loosen the bolts on your headboard so it bangs against the wall as the bed rocks. Perhaps your old crank of a neighbor will get a heart attack, be too embarrassed to complain any more, or simply realize the opening and closing of your front door isn't so bad after all.

4
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y

    You can either ignore her complaints and see what happens, or stop taking the trash out late at night.

    Maybe there are thin walls? If more than one person has complained about you, maybe you ARE causing too much noise?

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Jersey City, Select a State · Member since 2011 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    This is a weird case because none of these things are uncommon. First of all, "quiet hours" in an adult condo, reminds me of freshman dorms a little bit (lol). Secondly, it depends how much the fine actually is. If its small, it might be worth more to swallow your pride than contact a lawyer. In terms of the complaint, some might argue that taking the trash out at 12 am is a noisy activity, but if its your routine, its in the same category as the open window. Unless this stems from how you're carrying the trash out, I cant see this being a concern. Above all, before I contact anyone, talk to this neighbor of yours, look to work something out.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    @ Bienes Raices
    Only the latest incidence was taking out the trash at night. I don't usually take out the trash at night.

    She basically complains about noise from opening, closing the door and walking. Basically people entering, leaving the premises. Are you going to suggest just don't open/close doors after quiet hours? What do you suggest when I come home late? From work? From bar? From clubbing? From dinner? From a friend's place?

    Also the walls are thin. Apparently we both have our beds next to wall. So when I sleep I can hear her snoring. I can also faintly hear her talk. But I don't expect total silence from the other side of the wall like she does.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Ray Lim:
    @ Bienes Raices
    Only the latest incidence was taking out the trash at night. I don't usually take out the trash at night.

    She basically complains about noise from opening, closing the door and walking. Basically people entering, leaving the premises. Are you going to suggest just don't open/close doors after quiet hours? What do you suggest when I come home late? From work? From bar? From clubbing? From dinner? From a friend's place?

    Also the walls are thin. Apparently we both have our beds next to wall. So when I sleep I can hear her snoring. I can also faintly hear her talk. But I don't expect total silence from the other side of the wall like she does.

    OK. Are the people complaining elderly? Maybe it's a generation gap where they have unrealistic expectations.

    I would just go about my business. It's unlikely that you will be fined for this, and if you are it will probably be a small fine.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    Sounds like you are living in a condo that is really old in age or was poorly and incorrectly renovated.

    It's common in older buildings to have thin sheet rock and also the insulation used in the walls had a lower value back then.Over time the insulation breaks down.

    If you can hear each other between the walls it is definitely not a person issue it is a building issue.Good luck on getting them to redo the walls and insulate to fix the problem.

    Your best bet is to move to a newer facility with proper sound deadening.

    If you moved to a town house on the end unit then you would only share one common wall.In an apartment you can have people below you,above you,beside you, and with poor sound control can be a nightmare for a tenant.

    No legal advice.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Wholesaler · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 401 votes
    15y

    This is a forever problem. When this crap is built it is built to meet minimum code at the least cost possible. And because noise reduction items are not visible and don't provide a visual sell they are ignored.

    And the people building this crap are not going to be living there. Their only concern is how many more dollars can I put in the bank and if it's more than one I want it. Plus it's not my problem, I sold it to X, it's their problem.

    99% of these places have problems. If they didn't you would see a lower turnover ratio. Noise is the number one problem I work on when I buy a multi-unit because the tenants will stay longer, pay on time(don't want to lose a quiet place), and help you fill an upcoming vacancy.

    I spent years trying to get the building codes revised in my area, but the developers would rather spend their money bribing
    politicians then on a little better construction.

    1
    Topic locked
  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Ray Lim:
    What do you suggest when I come home late? From work? From bar? From clubbing?...

    Also the walls are thin. Apparently we both have our beds next to wall.

    Try finding a girl at a bar or club who's a real screamer and bring her home for an "extended" session. Perhaps loosen the bolts on your headboard so it bangs against the wall as the bed rocks. Perhaps your old crank of a neighbor will get a heart attack, be too embarrassed to complain any more, or simply realize the opening and closing of your front door isn't so bad after all.

    4
    Topic locked