Offering a 6 month lease to good tenant?

9 Replies

I prefer M2M for all my tenants. It gives you much greater control over tenants especially inherited tenants.

The length of time tenants stay is not related to the length of their lease. They all leave when ever they want or need to go. There is a reason why they asked for a 6 month and what you offer them will have no impact on that. If they are planning to leave in 6 months and you force them to sign a one year they will simply break it when they need to leave.

I would leave them on M2M and require that they give you 60 days notice. 

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

I prefer M2M for all my tenants. It gives you much greater control over tenants especially inherited tenants.

The length of time tenants stay is not related to the length of their lease. They all leave when ever they want or need to go. There is a reason why they asked for a 6 month and what you offer them will have no impact on that. If they are planning to leave in 6 months and you force them to sign a one year they will simply break it when they need to leave.

How would M2M be better than the 6 month if they plan on leaving in 6 months anyway? 

Adam, I would agree with Thomas S on using a M2M lease. Thomas S, I am looking for advice on how to evict a M2M tenant. I live in Chicopee MA and have a lease with my grandfather (he owns the condo), and have a M2M sublease with my roommate. I formally asked my roommate to leave  (in the beginning of February) and he told me that he would not be leaving until May. Would you be able to give me advice on any personal experience you have with evicting M2M tenants? I understand I should check with a real estate lawyer as well.

@Margaret Ellithorpe

How to do it is entirely state specific. You first give 30 days notice (prior to the first of a month) informing them that you are not renewing their lease and then if they do not leave you must evict. You are now looking to give notice for the end of April.

In your situation it depends on how your state landlord tenant regulations apply to what is essentially a "room mate". You will need to study your state landlord tennat regulations to learn the process.

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

I wouldnt give them a year lease. Either 6 month, M2M or find new long term tenants. Just not sure the benefit of M2M over 6 month if they are leaving in 6 month anyway. 

Account Closed If the options are you either agree to a 6 month lease or they leave I would give them the 6 month lease especially since they are good tenants. Who knows maybe they will end up staying longer, people’s plans change.