Tenants wants compensation for inconvenience !

Tenants wants compensation for inconvenience !

Rental Property Investor · Edmonton, AB · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes

My tenants want compensation, just wondering if any could shed some light on this issue?

My renter txted me the other day saying the well water was bad at the acreage they are renting from me, they got the water tested and it shows small traces of coliform which I was told can be remedied by shocking the well! I immediately went over and shocked the well ! We are currently waiting for new test results!

My renter now wants to be compensated for their inconvenience of having to shower and do their laundry at her moms house for a week or so which is 10 minutes away and in the town that they work! They also mentioned their would by extra cost on their power bill “which they are responsible for” from having to run the well pump for an hour or 2 to shock and flush the system!

It is spring, and the tenants also mentioned the sump pump is also running some which is out of my control and should by considered in some of their living cost being that they are living on an acreage!

I feel that I’m not legally obligated to reimburse or compensate them anything according to the lease agreement! However I’m trying to be fair so I offered them $150 off this months rent of which they said is unacceptable, so trying to keep them happy I offers them $300! They now come back at me saying they $1000 for their troubles! Just wanting some advice from more experienced landlords on how I should address this matter , thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me in this matter!

0Reply
223 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7y

Dearest tenant you have rejected two offers of reimbursement and as a result they are now withdrawn . This is no longer negotiable or up for debate . If you find the conditions or terms of the lease are unacceptable I will allow you to be released from our lease agreement .

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Daniel Sweitzer. Tell them to take the 150 or nothing at all

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton, AB · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Sweitzer

    I said

    “Me”

    Does the water still have a bleach smell? I gave your request some thought and I have decided to credit you 150$ for the water troubles you have been experiencing, I’m sorry for your inconvenience! please make out this months check for 1850$ & let me know when you can get it to me thank you! I would also like the rest of the post dated checks till the end of your lease as well please!

    “Tenant”

    Sorry I have been working no time to reply yesterday. It still smells bleachy but I think the smell is almost gone. And sorry but $150 off is unacceptable. The time and fuel it took to go elsewhere to shower and do laundry is worth more than $150. And as I’ve said before, the power bill was already over $400 last month, even with us being extremely power conscious. Running the taps for as long as we have to try to get all the bleach out is going to make the power bill through the roof. The sump pump running all the time during melting season will not help with that either. There is no way I can afford that

    “Me”

    I’m sorry , I would like to work with you on this matter & be fair! Would you be happy if I take $300 off your rent for this check?

    “Tenant”

    I was thinking like $1000. I still don’t have a lab test confirming that the water is safe. It still wouldn’t be Friday until I got that result

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton, AB · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Caleb Heimsoth

    Thank you, I think I am being way to generous!

    I think they are trying to take advantage of me and maybe money is probably tight for them and they are just trying to use me!

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton, AB · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Sweitzer

    Are their any more opinions?

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    $150 is way more than they deserve however it is offered and I would stick to it. Forget the $300 they lost that when they demanded $1000 and I would tell them that. Tell them to take the $150 or show you receipts for their expenses. In the future you never offer to pay anything without receipts.

    You need to put on your landlord pants and lay down the law. Tell them $150 or you are willing to release them from their lease and let them move out. That usually shuts up greedy tenants.

    These are tenants you do not want to keep especiallyy if they have money issues. If they stay consider non renewing their lease when it is up or keep them on M2M.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes
    7y

    Since you’ve offered the $300.00, honor it.

    Notify them that moving forward you will not be able to provide any further rent credits and offer to break the lease if they feel the living arrangements are no longer working for them.

    If you feel the above is something you are not comfortable with, I wish you the best of luck with tenants that’s will drain you while they occupy your premises. 

    Save yourself from future headaches and cut your losses.

    To your success!

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    "Since you’ve offered the $300.00, honor it"

    That I believe is a mistake, they burned that offer when they got greedy. He should retract it and go back to the $150 to send a strong message that trying to take advantage of his generosity will not be rewarded.

    He obviously has handled the situation very poorly by making a offer in the first place but now he must take back control of the situation and make it very clear that it is $150 or nothing and they can pack their bags. This is not about the money it has become about taking control of the business. Mistakes were made he now has to fix them by making it very clear to his tennats that they are not in control.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    Ask them to submit receipts from any business that shows their actual expenses and you will consider them. 

    Increase their rent at next lease renewal to cover any reimbursement.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Daniel Sweitzer

    I’m in agreement with everybody else. $300 was more than I would have offered. I once gave a tenant $100 after their fridge quit and food spoiled. That was probably too generous too.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Dearest tenant you have rejected two offers of reimbursement and as a result they are now withdrawn . This is no longer negotiable or up for debate . If you find the conditions or terms of the lease are unacceptable I will allow you to be released from our lease agreement .

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    @Dennis M.

    That would be my go to response at this time. The tenant burned himself in my opinion.

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    First, from your telling of the story, these tenants are trying for an unearned payday.  Consider adding the following clause in your lease:  "Tenant shall keep their hands in THEIR OWN pockets".

    Here's how we handle this type of situation:  divide the monthly rent by 30.  ($1,000 / 30 = $33.33/day.

    Multiply the number of days affected (example: 10 days x $33.33 = $330).  That is the TOTAL rent for the ENTIRE property for the noted days.  Cut that amount by at least 50% -- remember, the entire house was not 'disabled,' only the water.  

    They could still stay in the house and have access to the entire property.  IMHO, starting at $150 was way generous, and I'd stick to that number.

    NOTE:  If they actually couldn't stay in the property, they could claim that against their renter's insurance--that's one of the reasons it's there, and why we require it on every rental.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    "Since you’ve offered the $300.00, honor it"

    That I believe is a mistake, they burned that offer when they got greedy. He should retract it and go back to the $150 to send a strong message that trying to take advantage of his generosity will not be rewarded.

    He obviously has handled the situation very poorly by making a offer in the first place but now he must take back control of the situation and make it very clear that it is $150 or nothing and they can pack their bags. This is not about the money it has become about taking control of the business. Mistakes were made he now has to fix them by making it very clear to his tennats that they are not in control.

    for me I think this landlord dodged a big huge bullet here.. If that well made them sick ( which is very easy to do with contaminated water) having owned a Mobile home park on private water system myself.. you have a lot of liability here..   its easy for the landlords to chime in that have properties on city water..  but think it through bad water could put them in the hospital..  now for sure the tenant is being a typical tenant and why me personally dont like to deal with tenants the juice is not worth the squeeze.   If it was me I would give them the 1000 and have your lawyer write a release of all claims as to the water.. and probably not renew unless other wise they are great tenants.. but if your already asking for pre signed checks sounds like collections maybe an issue as well.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    @Daniel Sweitzer  They are living on a farm and they knew about the well and sump pump when they rented it.  As soon as you were notified, you dealt with it. $300 is reasonable.  I doubt their gas amounted to $1000 unless they live in the middle of nowhere and did multiple trips per day.  

    I would also pay to have the water tested each spring, if not more frequently, and reimburse them the cost of the test.

  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 776 posts · 776 votes
    7y

    You messed up when you asked them if $300 was a fair compensation. I’ve played this game before. Everything becomes unacceptable and you end up losing tons of money. Best to withdraw to you orginal $150 offer for the inconvenience IMO.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    check out voss never split the difference u need it lol

  • Contractor · Oxford, MA · Member since 2018 · 807 posts · 745 votes
    7y

    You gave away control of the situation and you're going to get walked on until you take it back. Personally I would take back the offer of $300. You offered, they said no. That makes the offer no longer valid IMO. I would tell them that you ran the numbers and believe $200 or 250 is more than reasonable. I would also tell them the sump system running is normal and part of their costs to rent the property. If they have any further questions about compensation in the future they should refer to their lease (which I hope is written properly). If they give you any further problems and you think it would be easy to rent the property to someone else then allow them to break the lease. If the option is vacant or deal with them then you have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    aren't these kind of inconveniences exactly what renter's insurance is for?

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    Dear Tenant: Upon further consideration, since the quality of the well water was due to Mother Nature and I took immediate action to rectify the situation when informed, I do not feel that compensation is warranted. The original offering was to keep you happy, but the counteroffer was absurd and trying to take advantage of my generosity. 

    Sounds like your maintaining this property is a little more than you can handle. I'll send over the lease termination paperwork today. Please sign it and return to me ASAP. This offer is good for 7 days. 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    You may also want to consider adding a UV water treatment system in the future to avoid this happening again.

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Sweitzer

    @Jay Hinrichs

    I agree with Jay on this 100 percent. You should be talking to a lawyer to see what kind of liability you have exposed yourself too. If they make one call to city and they are low to moderate income they will

    be provided with a free lawyer more than likely and you are going to be slapped with not providing a nonhostile living environment. If you are not checking the water quality 1-2 times a year you will lose this battle immediately. I would ask them to provide receipts and a detailed letter justifying the 1000 and then have the lawyer draw up the legal stuff. If you own enough units you also could be exposing yourself to a class action lawsuit if that tenant talks with others. If it were my kids and there was bad water I would own you right now and take it to court versus fighting you over 700 bucks and then have the judge throw down a harsher punishment.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 930 votes
    7y

    I wouldn't pay them anything. They knew they had a well where they lived and there are things associated with having a well. You did what you had to do to remedy the problem, so that's the extent of your liability. You were generous to offer anything. Don't let tenants scare you into paying them for being adults and dealing with adult situations.

    I have tenants tell me all the time that their rent is late because they couldn't afford medication. But I say, "But you had no problem paying $10 a pack for cigarettes, huh? You owe rent and a late charge."

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton, AB · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thanks to everyone for you replies , I took the majority of the advice retracted the $300 offer & honoured the $150 compensation, laid down the law and said they would not be getting any more compensation or any grace on late payments, well their tune has changed they gave me my check and it looks like things will be going smoothly!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    I'm glad you had a good outcome.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    All the responses from other d-bag landlords are ridiculous and sounds like they have no soul. 

    Think about it simply like this, if you moved into a place that was supposed to be good to go, and the water wasn't, almost got people sick. I think it would be within the moral and legal right for the landlord to fix the issue that he/she was too negligent to examine prior. You increase their energy bill by having to run the pump excessively. You inconvenience them out of their home that they work and pay for to live in and they have to go and make complete other arrangements that they don't want to do. After already being busy with everyday life. Time is the most valuable asset we have, is it not?... 

    if you were worried about them trying to take money from you, then you should have been smart and put a meter on their water pump after you told them to flush it out or whatever so that you can gauge how much extra you cost them and then take that off the rent and then there's no discrepancies. 

    it was completely due to your negligence that caused them an inconvenience and a health hazard. 

    not sure we're all these other landlords get off assuming these are just cash grabbing freeloaders when they didn't do anything except do their part and move into a place and pay rent.so you can benefit from them doing so. YOU are the one who dropped the ball, not them. They probably would have been more than happy if you met them in the middle at $500. You should just be happy that nobody got sick from the water because then you'd be looking at a whole lawsuit! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.