HVAC maintenance how often?

6 Replies

How often do you guys have the handyman or HVAC person come by to tuneup for HVAC system at your properties? The HVAC guy I use recommends twice a year (spring and fall) but of course I would prefer just once a year? What do you do and why? What time of year do you have it done? Thanks!

We have the tenant replace filters that’s it. But that’s Vegas. Maybe you need more work on them in Texas? 

20 years and 13 properties (24 ac units) has amounted to maybe six - ten  $240 repairs? (Dual run caps seem to fail here.) and 2 old water cooled Freus units had to be replaced.  Don’t see how paying for 48 inspections times 20 years coulda saved me any money unless they’re free. 960 inspections or $1400 - $2400 in repairs which the inspections probably wouldn’t have prevented. ( I knew the water cooled units were on their last leg when I bought the property as freus had already gone out of business providing warranty work.)

@Karen W.

You will get some polarized opinions about this in this site. I’ve found the modern HVAC tune ups are not worth it. First of all, the don’t actually do anything preventative such as lubing or cleaning.

Back in the day, HVAC tune ups actually consisted of coil cleaning and perhaps electric relay exchanges , etc. now they just use it as an up-sale to get you to try and replace capacitors that have not gone bad or talk you into a new fan motor or convince you that you’re heat exchanger has pin holes so they can change it out.

With that being said, there are still lots of good / smart / and ethical HVAC guys that can really provide and old school tune up and perhaps they can chime in but the newer larger companies just try to up-sell you on unneeded parts and “repairs”

Tip: change your filters. Keep outdoor coils clean. Listen to your inside / outside units. Look at the indoor unit for leaks. Keep your condensation pumps in good working order (occasionally pour in a SMALL amount of bleach or other agent to kill algae , make sure outside tube not blocked / clogged/ kinked / frozen )

I am an  HVAC Technician by trade. I can say for certain that repairs and maintenance can not be foretold by anyone anywhere. The best solution I would give is to have a service person check once a year in the fall, at a minimum. I say fall because you may or may not be still using your AC and before winter when Heat is a necessity. Industry standard for all equipment in the modern market place is 10 to 12 years. budget for these replacements and little small maintenance i.e. filter change and coil cleans should keep you out of the repair market.

How do you clean the coil or the outside unit when you don't live nearby?

We also live in TX, a new AC we put in May already had a dirty coil outside and tripped the circuit. The AC guy said might be due to cottonwood or dirt (the property is in kinda  rural area)

How do you clean the coil or the outside unit when you don't live nearby?

We also live in TX, a new AC we put in May already had a dirty coil outside and tripped the circuit. The AC guy said might be due to cottonwood or dirt (the property is in kinda  rural area)