DISCUSSUON: BUYING RENTALS IN ARKANSAS!!! READ!!!

23 Replies

Just finished watching a VICE documentary on ARKANSAS. The topic was: Arkansas, “The Worst Place To Be A Tenant, Best place to be a landlord”

- Arkansas, Landlords can do 10 day Evictions and Retain Their properties back with little to no hassle

-Tenants can go to jail or be fined if not gone by 11th day.....

-Landlords are also not held accountable for major repairs and can take as much time as they would want.

- Do you invest in Arkansas?

- Do you have friends that invest in Arkansas?

- What Do You think of this? Can I share the LINK with you to watch the video yourself?

@Cameron Riley ... Sorry but I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at... I live here and invest here. We take care of our properties and our tenants. There are just as many professional tenants out there as there are slumlords, no matter which state you look at. It only depends on how the laws read to determine which of those have an advantage. As with anything in life which people so often like to ignore, be careful who you get in bed with (or rent from/to) and you will be fine. 

It's just a biased documentary opinion piece that landlords are bad, but those in Arkansas are the worst. If Arkansas were some utopia for landlords, then we'd all invest there. 

They touched on areas which showed their cluelessness. They don't feel that the state should be spending resources evicting people. That's like requiring a retail store to spend their own money to prosecute a shoplifter. The person is stealing services/goods from a business and it is the responsibility of the government to help prevent this. Otherwise, society as a whole suffers. 

One thing this opinion piece did not touch on is that Arkansas has one of the lowest median rents in the entire county and also one of the lowest year/year rent increases. It's no secret that the harder it is to evict someone, the more risk premium the landlord requires and therefore, the higher the rent will be. Give Arkansas tenants the same protections as those in NY or CA and watch their rents increase 50% to cover this extra risk.

Yes, Arkansas is landlord friendly. And yes, I invest in Arkansas.

- Arkansas, Landlords can do 10 day Evictions and Retain Their properties back with little to no hassle

-Tenants can go to jail or be fined if not gone by 11th day.....

-Landlords are also not held accountable for major repairs and can take as much time as they would want.

It's true that if things go smoothly we can still get our properties back in about 10 days. BUT there were some changes in...I think it was 2017, and to the best of my knowledge, the criminal portion of the law is not being enforced in most areas. 

That repair thing is also largely untrue. That would only be true if it's out in the country. In the city (especially in Little Rock), we have city codes and inspectors and all that. If your grass is long, your roof is falling off the house, whatever, they're going to be on it. Little Rock also has rental inspections. The tenants can call the city on you and have the house inspected. 

@Cameron Riley

Here is the reality

A couple of professors at the university of Arkansas are trying to make a name for themselves by passing landlord tenant laws. It never made it out of committee. They claim university students live in squalor by slum lords and the tenants have no recourse. There is a law that it’s criminal if you stay after your eviction. That is if you don’t appeal it. The tenant can go to the court house and appeal the eviction and go to court. it’s actually a fair system. If you have an llc. Then your company has to hire a lawyer to do the eviction. Anywhere from 500-1000. Now it’s my understanding that most judges won’t enforce the criminal action because they think it’s to severe and especially the judges in the poorer areas need the vote and won’t enforce it against their voting block. Regardless if any one feels it’s unfair to the tenant doesn’t realize even here in Arkansas by the time they owe current rent, back rent late fees then served an eviction your out 30-90 days for every instance, which adds up to 1,000’s of dollars.

I live in Arkansas , I invest in Arkansas,  I keep my properties up. like I tell my renters I cannot fix what I don't know about.  evictions is part of the process, usually don't have much problems, have only had one that I had to go all the way with. They were Squatters, stealing power and hauling in water.  professional squatters . That one took a while. I feel that the  laws are good now.   If they don't feel good about renting it, they should move on.  If someone wants out of there lease I probably  don't want them in there anyway.  

@Lindel Turner

Appreciate your insight!!

So basically, evictions aren’t as simple and easy as portrayed?

Really, you need to hire a lawyer when you have an LLC? That's crazy!

Yes. They say you can’t represent the company. Because it’s separate entity. But an individual. And you can go file the eviction at the clerks office.  I wouldn’t doubt the documentary was funded by the people trying to push the new landlord laws sponsored by university of Arkansas. I would love to see the documentary. 

Yes. LLCs need a lawyer to represent them in court. 10 day evictions? Sure, if everything goes smoothly... but when you have professional tenants, that is rarely the case. 

Few lawyers will touch the criminal eviction, at this point; which leaves the "unlawful detainer action" as the primary method to evict. It can cost a pretty penny.

As far as whether Arkansas is a "landlord friendly" state.. yes it is, for the most part. However, if you are in Little Rock, I've seen simple clear-cut evictions drawn out for 4-5 MONTHS with multiple hearings, because the judge is trying to give the tenant time to fix their housing issues (despite what the actual law says.) This doesn't happen in most cases, but it can happen.

Arkansas has the least friendly tenant laws in the country. That’s a fact. The proposed bills would have still made Arkansas the least tenant friendly but it would have been a little more even. But it didn’t pass, so if you want to be a slum lord in Arkansas you can certainly do it. I hope you come here but don’t take advantage of the laws. 

@Lindel Turner

Can I message you the link?

It’s a 10-12 min video! You can add more to your comments then! After you watch it! I really am just trying to get a picture or ARKANSAS!

@Randy Pulliam

Randy!

I knew the documentary had some major truth to it!

I am going

To be buying 3-6 homes this summer.

- I love

The 10 day evictions...

- How many properties do you

Own?

They have 5 days to appeal. Tenants pay their bills and landlords do the repairs and lawyers won’t have a job. So tenant friendly means the tenant gets to take advantage of landlords and landlord friendly means your a slum lord? My last 10 day eviction cost me about 3 grand just in back rent and fees.  If your a sleepy lawyer looking for easy lawsuit perhaps go to another state. 

Found the video and watched it. It starts off showing poor tenants that claim outrageous claims. They paid their rent on time and never got a eviction notice. They didn’t interview the landlords. They claim it’s minimal effort and cheap for landlords to evict. Totally not true. Rent for the month usually isn’t paid the house is destroyed and unlawful detained is about 800.00 and hope you don’t go to court. They claim people went to jail for failing to vacate but couldn’t find any to talk too. They claim Arkansas has no habitability laws. Not entirely true. All cities have codes and Enforcement of those by the police. I know I got a ticket for someone else’s trash in my vacant houses yard.  This is very on sided. As President Trump would say fake news. 

Another thing not reported on is the city of Jacksonville, will charge you $100 on your taxes for each time , the yard gets over (I THINK) 6 or 8 inches. and they send someone over to mow it. They give notice to the renter. Do you think the renter gives a damn if you get charged?

I just bought a house in late November, was charged $500  for the last owners negligence ,  wasn't posted to taxes until December After I bought . wasn't caught by title company because of late posting.

Welcome to Arkansas!

a lot of one sided reporting going on! depends on the medias and apparentl a couple of professors agenda!

Originally posted by @Cameron Riley :

@Randy Pulliam

Randy!

I knew the documentary had some major truth to it!

I am going

To be buying 3-6 homes this summer.

- I love

The 10 day evictions...

- How many properties do you

Own?

4 properties, 11 doors. I've been stuck with unpaid rent too, but it doesn't mean Arkansas laws are the most landlord friendly in the country. Because they objectively are.