Real Estate Investor · Mobile, AL · Member since 2010 · 46 posts · 2 votes
Hey Guys
I am looking at purchasing a rental and was curious whether you guys preferred a Gas or an Electric Water Heater. I have read that the Gas Water Heater has cheaper monthly cost because it is easier to heat up the water, but the Electric water heater is a safer, more modern route.
If you were trying to install one into a rental which route would you choose to protect yourself and pick the longest lasting tank, that would be money well spent
Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
14y
Another thing that someone pointed out to me when I was asking a similar question: if the tenants have bad credit they may get stuck having to put down two deposits, one for gas and electric. Also some people stated that tenants prefer just receiving one bill.
Investor · Locust Grove, GA · Member since 2011 · 40 posts · 4 votes
14y
When I purchased my rental in Spring 2010, I replaced the gas water heater with a brand new electric one. It didn't take my plumber long to install it and its been working like a charm!!
Real Estate Investor · Mobile, AL · Member since 2010 · 46 posts · 2 votes
14y
Thanks Guys it sounds like Electiric is the way to go, but if a Gas one is already in there, it shouldn't be pulled out automatically and replaced until it gives out on you
I was also wondering whether you guys preferred your house to be all electric or a mix of gas and electric? Obviously it is cheaper for the tenant to have to only pay one deposit and bill to the power company.
Investor · Locust Grove, GA · Member since 2011 · 40 posts · 4 votes
14y
Well, my rental is a mixture of gas and electric. I put in a electric stove and electric water heater, but the furnace is still gas. My tenants were aware of the utilities and they had no problem getting everything connected. Depending upon the utility company, the deposit my be credited or refunded at the end of the contract.
Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
14y
I am in the habit of pulling the gas heaters out and replacing with electric in my rehabs. It gives the inspectors less issues to write up.
In my current rehab, the gas heater flue ran up the service wall which was between the kitchen and master bath. I was in there for other purposes and notices the flue was duct taped together over forty years ago. The tape was deteriated to the point to where carbon monoxide had to be escaping throughout the wall and into the attick at the least. I feel there was a potential for big problems in the future if it was left as is.
I just feel better with the electric heaters.
Don
Real Estate Investor · StL, MO · Member since 2008 · 294 posts · 152 votes
14y
If you're replacing, go with electric. Gas is common around here and tenants go crazy for all electric places. Units will rent faster and at higher rates.
The gas company is also getting strict on having flue liners which is at least $400 just to line the flue so it may be cost effective to put in a brand new electric HWH instead of paying for a liner and still having an old tank. Furnance will be a more of a toss up with the liner, depends on the age. Check your gas bill, here it costs $20/month just to have the gas on, even if you don't use any gas. When you go to sell, around here you need an inspection from the gas company which costs $150.
Everything adds up for a move to electric so I will be doing that as things go out or I get hit on a flue liner.
on my new reno I opted to go electric because space for flue thru roof just not there, plus those side wall vented gas, just expensive.
On a related note, having NO chimneys thru the roof will result in much lower utility cost. Chimneys are worse wasters as they flue hot air out 24/7/365. So a hi eff. furnace vented with 2" pvc plastic pipe saves alot plus so easy on gas bills. Electric heat is considered expensive here, dont know for sure. A small house with insulation and newer furnace will heat for about 125 bucks a month max. in coldest month and less as its warmer with gas.
Lexington, KY · Member since 2010 · 315 posts · 133 votes
14y
If you already have gas, use gas - it is more efficient and cost less to operate (if you are paying the utilities). Plus you avoid the potential cost of pulling a new line to service the electric one.
If you already have electric, i'd stay with electric.
Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 610 posts · 232 votes
14y
On a mid-level remodel we put in a gas tankless water heater on the outside so we didn't have to worry about venting. it created space for an extra closet which was a big factor in this area because most rental houses in that area didn't have much storage. Secondly, it appealed to a more upscale tenant because it was considered "green." But I think only works in an area where you can charge more rent.