• Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Hattiesburg, MS
Votes |
Tenant Improvements????

Ed L.
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Hattiesburg, MS
Posted Jan 11 2012, 12:36

How are tenant property improvements handled???

Example.
Tenant installed laminate flooring.
Tenant installed new exterior door.
Tenant installed fence on the property.
Floor to ceiling mirrors glued to drywall.
Tenant installed wood baseboard.

I have a tenant moving out of my office building. She had improvements made to the suite. Some before I purchased the property and some after.

She still had 6 months remaining on her lease and I offered to let her end the lease early if she didn't strip the unit.

She decided the 1,000 ft of used laminate, and mirrors were worth bickering over.

Now I have a 45ft wall that is pretty much destroyed from tearing the mirrors off. She agreed to have the wall repaired.

I also am going to have to purchase 1,000 sq/ft of new flooring.

I've been pretty accommodating through the whole process and now she's getting quotes to remove a wood privacy fence that is about 100ft long.

Just curious how I should handle this? For this particular situation and future reference.

She still had 6 months remaining on her lease agreement for 650 per month.

This is the first time I've had someone walk out early on a lease.

She gave me no notice. My wife just happened to notice she was celebrating the purchase of a new studio and asked if she would be leaving.

It was a 2 fold slap in the face. I'm actually losing a total of 1800 in rental income (Occupied 2 units), and now I have to spend 3-4,000 cleaning up the mess she made by stripping down the unit.

Loading replies...