Landlord is trying to kick me out tomorrow

27 Replies

Hi all,

I am an RE investor and have a rental property in Wisconsin, but I currently rent from a landlord in New Jersey and reside there. I do not have a written agreement. It is month-to-month and I haven't paid a security deposit because she never asked for one. I've been living in the house for 10 months and the landlord lives there as well. She is showing extreme aggression and is very unstable. She has no viable reason to kick me out, but she's upset that I left a light on and she argued with me about it one night through a text conversation, so she's still upset about that. Where can I find info about my rights? Can she legally have me removed from the property tomorrow? She hasn't served me an eviction.

@Corbin Jones

Check out your state's website!

https://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/offices/landlord_tenant_information.html

While I'm not a lawyer, my understanding in Wisconsin is that you'd be "protected" based on the verbal rental agreement, but that becomes messy quickly in a 'he said she said' situation. As my sales instructor drilled over and over again: ALWAYS GET YOUR LEASES IN WRITING, even short term month to month agreements. Wishing you lots of luck! 🤞🤞

If you lived at my house and left a light on I would send you packing in a nano second .   

You must have done something else , dribbled on the toilet seat . Not flushed after number 2 . Did you forget to put the cap back on the toothpaste ? 

A process has to be gone through on any eviction. Read the link provided above. And do move out ASAP. Crazy landlord is never good. And next time LEASE IN WRITING.

No lease? You are month-to-month? Thirty days' notice and you need to vacate. You take a huge risk not having a signed Lease to protect you, especially in an owner-occupied property. Being a real estate investor, you should know better. And you have an amateur landlord.

If you really want to piss her off , go to the courthouse and get a ex parte order against her , you fear for your safety . There is a good chance they will make her leave the property for 7 to 10 days . 

And you want to stay why?

Even w/o a written lease you have established tenancy so yes, you have rights.....and you could fight it in court....but your landlord is aggressive and unstable...and she lives with you......

If the landlord didn't share the house with you, it would be worth the fight...... she has to legally evict you and that takes time

Agree to leave ASAP if ALL the $$ involved is returned to you..... rent you have already paid for the month etc......if there is no $$ due back, then just get out of there ASAP. Having a legal battle with your housemate landlord is not even worth a consideration

@Judy P. I should know better. I moved in before I had a great understanding of landlord laws, and former coworkers have lived in this house before me. They warned me that she was picky with them, but I didn't know she would take it to this level. She makes $24,000 a year of unreported rent... I'm sure she wouldn't want the IRS to find out.

@Ned J. Thanks, Ned. I always paid a week early, so I paid for June in full already. I am concerned that she'll withhold that money for any reason that she desires if I just leave now. I am definitely looking for a place to move into before July.

@Corbin Jones

If I was you I would leave ASAP.  If she is unstable you don't know what she is capable of.  Don't get caught up.  Sometimes in life it is better to cut your losses.  

"Know when to walk away, Know when to run."

Kenny Rogers- The Gambler

@Corbin Jones she can non-renew your lease but the earliest she can have you out is July 31st if you are renting a unit. If you are renting a room in her residence, there may be different rules. I would plan on leaving ASAP. Why stay in a hostile environment.

Just leave man! She sounds like a nut job. Arguing about a light left on..You sure nothing else was brewing that led to this?

It's not a healthy environment anyway. Landlord watching every move you make, what time you come home, nosy about everything. That's not cool. Why do you want to stay under those conditions? 

Originally posted by @Matthew Paul :

If you lived at my house and left a light on I would send you packing in a nano second .   

You must have done something else , dribbled on the toilet seat . Not flushed after number 2 . Did you forget to put the cap back on the toothpaste ? 

THIS.  You leave one more light on... I swear......

Agreed she seems like a loony toon, and you should know based on your RE knowledge, she didn't set up anything properly w/ lease agreement or Sec. Dep.  

Unless the deal is just too good and you're saving incredible money, this seems like a no brainer move out. 

LOL! Tell her you'll start looking for a place and be out at end of June and if she doesn't she doesn't chill you'll leave on lights for the rest of the month. SMH. Lots of crazy out there.

I really just don't understand people... 

Just be aware that if you initiate or she initiates anything in Landlord Tenant court then you will have a record that any discerning, properly vetting landlord will see. I am sure you will have a great story to tell them, about what a weirdo you rented from and how she was completely off her rocker, but you just had to stay with her and it all looked glum until you extorted her with the threat of contacting the IRS...

Me thinks you would not make it through my initial "potential tenant" email correspondence though. I can already hear alarms, bells and whistles going off.

Its simple man.... Turn on every light in the house and go take a 4 hour shower (in her bathroom of course). 

@Corbin Jones

Bro your landlord sounds like she have mental issues ,and by you guys not entering into a legal agreement in regards tenant occupancy . Is a sign that she is not professional.

If I was you I'll ask her please give me sometime to make arrangements and get out a dodge ASAP. Sometime "prevention is better then cure"

Originally posted by @Corbin Jones :

@Judy P. I should know better. I moved in before I had a great understanding of landlord laws, and former coworkers have lived in this house before me. They warned me that she was picky with them, but I didn't know she would take it to this level. She makes $24,000 a year of unreported rent... I'm sure she wouldn't want the IRS to find out.

Something is telling me that going to court might open up a can of worms for her....

Originally posted by @Judy P.:

No lease? You are month-to-month? Thirty days' notice and you need to vacate. You take a huge risk not having a signed Lease to protect you, especially in an owner-occupied property. Being a real estate investor, you should know better. And you have an amateur landlord.

Judy's right here.  NJ Tenancy laws heavily favor the tenant.  Provided she goes through a forced eviction.

Ok, so first things first...get a shovel, and about 300 heavy duty bags...proceed to fill bags with sand and create a barrier wall to stop any direct fire or shrapnel...or immediately vacate war zone.

Try cash for keys, or just forfeit part of the month and move out on the 15th...yeah you loose a half month, but you reduce your exposure to crazy, and that's priceless.