Lease agreement for live-in tenant/roommate?

7 Replies

Hey there - I just bought a house hack duplex and I’ll have a buddy renting a room in the unit I’m occupying.

How have you guys handled this with lease? I was writing up the lease and it would sound like he’s renting the whole thing - did you specify a room or living area?

My realtor said I could look at what’s called a “lodger agreement” but I can’t find a template online of that to save my life.

What do you guys think?

I had 2 different friends live with me at different times in m house.  It was great having a roommate along with the extra income.

I know the 2 buddies that lived with me were both actually friends so didnt have a lease or anything.  No issues, but they also werent idiots of human beings

@Joshua Stein I'm getting ready to buy my first house and am in a similar situation: I want to take in a roomie but am wondering about how to design the lease. Did you ever find something that worked for you? One tip I've heard is to put numbers on the rooms. That way it's very clear-cut if you should need to do an eviction. And for context, I'm in Virginia.

Originally posted by @Barb F. :

@Joshua Stein I'm getting ready to buy my first house and am in a similar situation: I want to take in a roomie but am wondering about how to design the lease. Did you ever find something that worked for you? One tip I've heard is to put numbers on the rooms. That way it's very clear-cut if you should need to do an eviction. And for context, I'm in Virginia.

I ended up just going without a lease, which probably isn't a good idea in theory - but the guy has been a close friend since grade school so I figured minimal risk.

People kept telling me to find a lodger agreement, but I couldn't find a good template. Maybe just do a lease and heavily edit it so it talks about a single bedroom.

@Cameron Tope Thanks so much for the recommendation! And the fast reply :) If I could perhaps avail myself of your wisdom once more... doesn't BP provide downloads of residential lease forms / packets for each state for Pro members? Sounds silly but I just can't find them anywhere. The only thing I've found is this link which repeatedly says "upgrade to Pro!" and says it costs $99 for the forms. I thought they were free... any insights? I'm going to send an e-mail for help if I can't figure it out soon.