What causes more damage? Vaping or pets?

7 Replies

I know this is bound to get disparate opinions bc of how ppl feel about vaping, but what do you think would cause more damage to a remodeled, class A house?

Our current options: 

1) a couple that vapes and has a small dog (they say they never vape inside, but that's also what all the vapers I know tell their landlords)

2) a couple that has 2 large dogs and a 36 gallon aquarium

Hi @Alicia Ro and welcome to BP. 

If you're focused on keeping your rental in good repair, I'm going to go with option #3 - find a better applicant :) 

I agree that most people who say they smoke (or vape) outside are not necessarily honest in all situations. Smoking is one of the most damaging things tenants do to rentals. I also am not a fan of large dogs - I love them but they're hard on homes. I do not like aquariums either, unless your house does not have any water absorbing floors. 

-Christopher

Originally posted by @Pat L. :

We had a vaping tenant & it does leave a residue & a distinctive odor. The incoming tenant, after we repainted & cleaned the carpets in the basement, asked 'so did they smoke it or grow it down here'. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-vaping-residue/vaping-residue-can-transfer-between-rooms-idUSKCN1LQ1XH

Eek, were you ever able to get it off the walls and out of the carpet? What did you use?

If it's possible, get a better tenant, as someone else said. A small dog should be fine. I think the opposing *opinions* of vaping supporters vs non don't really mean much compared to a real life experience such as Pat's who did notice odors. I feel that evidence has more weight than "it does not cause cause odor or damage."

Originally posted by @Alicia Ro :
Originally posted by @Pat L.:

We had a vaping tenant & it does leave a residue & a distinctive odor. The incoming tenant, after we repainted & cleaned the carpets in the basement, asked 'so did they smoke it or grow it down here'. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-vaping-residue/vaping-residue-can-transfer-between-rooms-idUSKCN1LQ1XH

Eek, were you ever able to get it off the walls and out of the carpet? What did you use?

We literally Kilz'd & repainted the walls & steam cleaned the carpeting BUT it has a dropped  ceiling so it's Not entirely gone. He took the place & seems Ok with it.