tenant said this countertop corner is a 'hazard'. Silliness

6 Replies

Good riddance. Tenant just moved out, but she was giving off litigious vibes during move out inspection, especially when she said that original laminate countertop is a 'hazard' because her toddler granddaughter hit her head on the corner multiple times, and that I should notify my insurance company. (notify for what?!)

I felt my blood pressure rise when she said that. 

This kind of tenant is scary; the kind who would sue you for slip and fall.

I hope you guys never get someone like this.

While we're at it, are wall outside corners a hazard too because you can't walk straight and bump into them?

Take a look at these countertop corners, original countertop from 1966. 

Look at all the walking space around them. Are they a hazard?

Originally posted by @Mike Franco :

Good riddance. Tenant just moved out, but she was giving off litigious vibes during move out inspection, especially when she said that original laminate countertop is a 'hazard' because her toddler granddaughter hit her head on the corner multiple times, and that I should notify my insurance company. (notify for what?!)

I felt my blood pressure rise when she said that. 

This kind of tenant is scary; the kind who would sue you for slip and fall.

I hope you guys never get someone like this.

While we're at it, are wall outside corners a hazard too because you can't walk straight and bump into them?

Take a look at these countertop corners, original countertop from 1966. 

Look at all the walking space around them. Are they a hazard?

No hazard. Don't sweat it. Also why do you do the move out inspection with her in there with you? Why don't you just make her deliver possession to you then do it on your own while taking photos and notes. Include the photos and notes on her statement with the remainder of the security deposit (if there is a remainder). Will keep your stress level much lower.

she was handing over the keys, and stuck around.

I'm not afraid of her. It's just her litigiousness was annoying. Huge relief now she's gone.

Remember that while it’s free to threaten to sue someone, to actually sue costs money. I think it’s highly unlikely for it to actually go anywhere. I wouldn’t worry about it, especially for a countertop that’s installed that way in a million other houses.

Nut jobs like her is why I use a property manager. I would have told her how horrible she is as a grandmother and she has no business supervising children.  LOL 

@Mike Franco I felt sick just reading this. I get so worried about litigation too. I recently had a tenant trip on the sidewalk in front of the house and try to sue 4 months later. We sent them a notice we were terminating their month to month lease. They withdrew the lawsuit. I hope this doesn’t turn into a lawsuit for you but I would still document and take as many pictures as possible.